OT: Interesting Debt Comparisons

I want to know, is Han a tax evader, like is buddy Warren?

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Indeed, the same, legal, kind. Just following IRS rules, most recently according to Turbotax.

Reply to
Han

Want to revise that?

You're, of course, wrong about Warren but you've never been one to let the facts get in the way of your opinions (typical for a lefty).

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe there was a typo somwewhere, but I thought you called Warren a tax evader, and if so, I'm the same, using the rules for submitting my tax return. If following the rules for a tax return is typical for a lefty, thanks for the compliment. Don't know what that makes you, but I'm sure to hear back from you.

Reply to
Han

Not even close. Earmarks are for specific projects and can't be spent on anything else. While in the other system, some states may have gotten more money than they put in, but the actual projects still had to meet the same criteria for acceptance as any other. Many earmarks are for projects that couldn't be funded under the older system (which was still in force for the "general" money allocated to transportation, etc.)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The whole point is that spending should NOT go up. The govt is already consuming too much of GDP. Sigh.... Some folks just don't get it. Spending is up

40% since 2007. Federal revenue is slightly above what it was in 2007. Taxes rates are the same as they were in 2007. Therefore, taxes are not the problem. Out of control spending is.

If a household has a budget problem where they are borrowing 40% of what they spend every year, is the answer that spending can only be cut if the household also gets more income? Or do you look around and say let's immediately get spending back closer to what it was just a few years ago?

Reply to
trader4

As if devaluation would solve a govt handing out money they don't have? If Greece had their own currency, it would not get them any further. You think all the holders of Greek debt are just gonna sit there and say, oh well, you just made my bonds worth 50% less, that's cool?

The real lesson from Greece is that govt spending way beyond their means leads ultimately to disaster. That spending, BTW, was not on wars, but on all kinds of big govt programs that you liberals fully endorse.

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@l14g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

Religious freedom is challenged when govt tells free people that they have to spend their money on funding for abortion and birth control. This is exactly what you get from the big govt that you liberals want. The more govt programs, mandates you have, the more it intrudes on all our freedoms.

If I'm a Catholic, running a charity or business and I don't want to spend my money on something against my religion, the Constitution says I do not have to. Ultimately, we'll get that ruling from the Supreme Court if we need to. It will just be one more needless lawsuit. Can you point to any other administration that has so many lawsuits being brought by STATES against the federal govt? We have 20 something states suing over Obamacare. We have AZ, LA suing over immigration enforcement. Now TX and various religous groups will be suing over this latest outrage.

And you can damn well bet this. Just imagine if it were some govt progam than mandated pork and bacon be served and the govt told Muslims organizations they must serve it. Then you liberals would be all up in arms.

Oh, please. This is just a total non-sequitor that's beyond stupid.

=A0>If

Who exactly is taking any testimony at this point? If it's needed, plenty of women will be available. How many women does it take for the Constitution to apply? By my book, even 1 is enough. That's all it takes for the ACLU to find to bring some lawsuit claiming a big violation of freedom. Funny though, they seem to be absent unless it's a leftist angle. But in this case, you're now arguing that unless there are waves of women protesting, it's OK to trample constitutional rights, because, well, it just doesn't matter.....

=A0>The regrettable fact

Whether they are out of touch in your view has nothing to do with the issue.

=A0>Freedom is a personal thing. =A0If you prohibit choice from

Unbelievable. No one is prohibiting choice. If those women want birth control, it isn't expensive and they can pay for it themselves as they are doing today. Or they can go get it for FREE from any number of sources. And yeah, if they don't like that, they can go work somewhere with a different health plan. The Catholic charity should be the one that determines that, because it's within the scope of their religous freedom. It's their organization, their money, their religous beliefs. It's not for you to dictate what kind of healthcare they need to offer. The Catholic institutions clearly don't believe not paying for birth control has hindered their ability to function in any way.

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The same as Buffet? Really? You mean a total hypocrite? Fighting the IRS for years over $1bil in taxes they claim is owed, while at the same time seeking to raise taxes on everyone else?

Reply to
trader4

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:4438adce- snipped-for-privacy@ge5g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

It's not just their spending. The Greeks also encouraged the privatesector to pay wages over and above what they should be, granted more vacation than others (Italians and French do that too), granted earlier pensions (I & F as well), an ABOVE ALL, the Greeks tolerated widespread tax evasion (I as well). The whole thing needs to be rebalanced in Greece, but cutting private wages 20% doesn't help GDP.

Reply to
Han

Oren wrote in news:0eg5k7pcbs7gu8lf1p7925ej2b7d16hve9@

4ax.com:

Just reminding you that some 20 states already have mandatory birth control insurance and catholic institutions have complied.

Reply to
Han

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v2g2000vbx.googlegroups.com:

I don't have the details on Buffet. I just know that what I'm doing is legal, AFAIK.

Reply to
Han

The biggest prob with Greece, though, is the structures put in place that made it REALLY hard to start (and more importantly grow) businesses. This is the main problem that the others only served to exacerbate.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:8N2dncmP6r9NZd_SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Indeed, there is apparently an enormously laborious system of protecting turf, with licenses that are difficult to start or branch out businesses and services.

Reply to
Han

No, it's the same thing. The administration might be slightly different, but the result is the same. Both are congress' way of telling the executive what to do. I don't see that as all bad.

Reply to
krw

They wouldn't have much choice. OTOH, the bond holders likely wouldn't be in that position if the EU hadn't been underwriting them all along.

Yup.

Reply to
krw

None of you lefties know how to read for shit. Simply amazing.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:4438adce- snipped-for-privacy@ge5g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

Than I'm no longer a liberal, since I would like (sensible) ways to prohibit spending beyond means.

Reply to
Han

You will note that NOBODY in all of this has discussed anything that would address this issue, the one that would (sooner rather than later) work to get the Greeks back to work and actually grow the economy. Nope, nothing but tax increases and budget cuts.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:HcidnQU91KVeGt7SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That brings up talk of a "stimulus"?? But I believe that is contrary to conservative thinking/ideology, so why would you bring that up? .

I do believe that parts of the "rescue" package include doing away with onerous parts of work and business regulations. That should spur the economy.

Also, if and when the general European economy perks up more, tourism would/could pour money into the economy (true also for Spain and other S Europe countries).

Reply to
Han