OT: home cold remedies or over the counter meds for colds

Page 1 of 2
I know this is way off topic but it is something we have to deal with on occasion. Short of going to a doctor, what home remedies or over the counter meds do you find work the best for you?
On 11/29/2012 11:27 AM, Doug wrote:

Aspirin works well enough for me if I have a real congested or drippy nose. Hot tea with lots of lemon and sugar and, perhaps, a little brandy. Chest congestion....not to the point of difficult breathing, cause if you have that you go to the doc....long hot steamy shower. I don't like decongestants because they tend to make me feel wierd, but Alka Selzer Cold med. is pretty good.
Before I was LDS, that is the recipe my family's old pediatrician reccomended for persistent cough. Honey, lemon, whiskey. Dispense by the teaspoon. Mom never did quite have a big enough teaspoon for my liking. Hic!
Lemon
Honey (warmed)
Jack Daniel's No.7
In a large glass...
On 11/29/2012 12:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've read of using whiskey for babies' teething discomfort, but wasn't a believer until I tried it on a grandson. Age 1 yr, family wedding reception, crying too long. Got enough whiskey to wet the bottom of a glass, sprinkled in some sugar, dipped my finger in it and rubbed it on my bambino's gums. Voila! He was asleep in about 5 minutes. It couldn't have been more than one or two drops, but seemed to do the trick. I would NEVER give a kid alcohol to drink, and there is probably still some in children's meds. One of the worst meds is pseudoephedrine....it was prescribed quite often when my children were small, and it made my son so hyper he couldn't sit still.

I remember when I was like 4 or 5, my parents at least on one occasion used whiskey on a toothache of mine. I seem to remember it worked to deaden the pain. I don't recall if they did this on all my toothaches (had several as I remember).
I would not try that. ASA is irritant, topically.
wrote in message
Mom had me lightly bite down on an aspirin for a toothache. Allow it to dissolve. It helped - some.

I think it absorbs well, and should relieve swelling and pain. Put aspirin under tongue for heart attack.
Greg
I've also heard of whiskey for teething. I'd use that, if I had the occasion. Or, baby Anbesol, or equivilant.
Sudafed is a close relative of a stimulant, can't remember which one. Some people, it has no effect. Others, it is a stimulant. Some adults, same results.
Some kids with ADHD, strong stimulants calm them down. I'm told that for ordinary people, ritalin is a super duper stimulant. I've known of parents of five year old boy to give him coffee when he's hyper. Not Mormon parents, for sure!
Many Nyquill type remedies have alcohol. I don't give it a second thought, if I've got a killer cold, and I have a few drops of alcohol in my cold medicine. Some Mormons will friek out to hear that.
I've read of using whiskey for babies' teething discomfort, but wasn't a believer until I tried it on a grandson. Age 1 yr, family wedding reception, crying too long. Got enough whiskey to wet the bottom of a glass, sprinkled in some sugar, dipped my finger in it and rubbed it on my bambino's gums. Voila! He was asleep in about 5 minutes. It couldn't have been more than one or two drops, but seemed to do the trick. I would NEVER give a kid alcohol to drink, and there is probably still some in children's meds. One of the worst meds is pseudoephedrine....it was prescribed quite often when my children were small, and it made my son so hyper he couldn't sit still.
You both slept better?
When my daughter was teething, crying, I dipped my finger in a bottle of "Jack". Just enough to wet the finger. She chewed and chewed. It sure helped both of us :-\

Just rubbing the gums, with some force, helps too. Kid may scream loudly at first, but then quiets down. No need for EtOH, but it may help as well.
--
Best regards
Han

believer<<<
My father in law suggested it to us when my son (now 33) was teething.....
we thought he was crazy...but a just enough to wet ones index finger & rub it on the baby's gums did the trick.
Pediatrician confirmed the usage
cheers Bob

We did that for our kids 40+ ears ago. Our parents said they did it for us even longer years ago.
I'm guessing Adam and Eve used a bottle of Jack when their first kids were teething. Does anyone have quote from Bible or Aristotle?
17. And it came to pass that Eve was heavy with child, and begat Hispah and Bloopa and Spinka, and also daughters. 18. Behold, and it was good. The Gerber factory had to put on another shift. Huggies had to call for mandatory overtime. 19. The Republican tax cuts were still in place, so Adam could afford diapers on one salary. And, it was good. 20. And it came to pass that a decree came from Eden, that the sons and daughters of Adam would issue forth, in disposable diapers, and fire retardent, federally approved zip up sleepers from China, with irritating chemicals used in the processing. 21. And it came to pass, that, behold, there was the top loading washer, which used phosphates, and made the clothes clean, and detergent that made clothes whiter than white. 22. And it came to pass that, Adam was heard to say what a good housekeeper Eve was, even better than June Cleaver. 23. And it came to pass that Eve asked who June Cleaver was, and if she was beautiful. And Eve asked if her butt looked big, in this fig leaf. 24. And it came to pass that Adam knew there was no way to live after that, and he did swollow deeply of the Jack Daniels which had been previously used for teething babies.

We did that for our kids 40+ ears ago. Our parents said they did it for us even longer years ago.
Doug wrote:

If it really is a cold, going to the doc won't help.
The doctor can treat a really bad symptom, but, as far as the cold itself, there's really not much he can do.

Actually on 2 occasions I did go to the doctor for a cold and he prescribed "z pack" medicine. I think these are antibiotics and they worked well for me both times. I hate going to doctors especially for just a cold but if I can't shake the cold I will because I don't want to get something more serious and then end up in a hospital. That's why I wanted to learn more about home remedies. I'm currently fighting a cold so this topic is foremost on my mind <g>.
Doug wrote:

When I was (much) younger - I don't know how young you are - I went to the doctor when I got sick. Now I go to the doctor to KEEP from getting sick.
In some regard, having a chronic disease, like diabetes, helps because you need to go in every so often - 90 days, six months - for a routine blood test. This blood - or other - test may provide an early warning or hint that something else is amiss.

I don't like antihistamine, especially with borderline high blood pressure. Aspirin or ibuprophin, as needed. They dont bother me at all, stomach wise. Onion soup, zinc, lots of gin or vodka, and much needed nasal blockage spray. Cough syrup DM.
Greg

Fast acting nose spray for congestion. None of the pills do much. Also hot chicken soup has been shown to work at clearing your head Hot shower time
Something I learned very late in life and that doctors either dont know or wont tell you is a cold if it last long enough can sometimes turn into an allergy with the same exact symptoms of a cold. The best medicine for an allergy is Benadryl.

A cold could also turn into a bacterial infection, needing antibiotics.
Greg