OT... Giving to the less fortunate

Page 1 of 4

I have always been a believer, in helping the less fortunate when I can.
This year, I feel like being Scrooge!
Our company usually "adopts" 2 families at Christmas. After having my company not matching my 401, it was a hit to me. Same with having wages frozen for 2 years, and having to take 10 days per year not paid, plus giving up 5 personnel days a year. I'm short 3 weeks pay, plus no 401 matching.
Our "boss" said the families we adopted needs cash. WTF?? I have some extra food I can share, and a couple of new sweaters I'm willing to provide. My boss says this is unacceptable. The families need to have cash, so they can buy for their children. I have no idea what the money will go for, drugs maybe? Besides, I don't have extra cash.
I contacted the Red-X. Said I have food & some new clothes to donate. They said they have plenty of food & clothes, they need cash. This is no joke, they actually told me this!
Helping the less fortunate? Since when have people decide what they will accept as gifts? Bah Humbug, I don't need this crap.
There are charities that will take clothes and food. I know Purple Heart Veteran takes clothes, and the food bank takes food.
Most of us have suffered in these times, some more than others, but remember that the most meaningful gifts are those from people who can't afford them; gifts from the rich aren't really much of a sacrifice. although you have to admire some of the rich, such as Warren Buffet, who leave their fortunes to charities.
casey wrote:

On 12/12/2009 20:23, Not@home wrote:

giant bureaucracies. There are plenty of smaller groups that welcome any sort of contribution.
clipped

Until a giant "megadisaster" comes along?
Not@home wrote:

I'll disagree. The worthiness of charity depends on the worth to the person receiving it, not the motivation, abilities, or sacrifice of the giver. Further, the poor can't provide as much charity as the more affluent. You're right about Buffet, but more good is done, and quicker, when the charity is dispensed during the giver's lifetime. Bill Gates is one such example (but recently Buffet joined the Gates Foundation).
In the 13th Century, Maimonides ranked 13 kinds of charity. Second from the top was an anonymous giver providing help to an anonymous recipient. At the very bottom was a penurious contributor reluctantly, loudly, and publicly giving a token amount to an embarrassed poor person.
The highest form of charity according to Maimonides? Providing a loan to a poor person so he could start a business!
Many, many years ago, on PBS, F. Lee Bailey (in his youth) interviewed H.L. Hunt, a wealthy Texas oil man and Bailey asked the proverbial "are you still beating your wife" question: "Mr. Hunt, the history of this country is filled with examples of the wealthy sharing their largess with the public. One only has to think of the Carnegies and the Fords to see examples of how they've used their great wealth to help mankind. Why is it you've never seen fit to share your bounty with the less fortunate?"
Old man Hunt looked at Bailey as if Bailey had just eaten a bug. "I use my money to give people something more important that a pretty picture to look at in some damned museum. I use my money got give 'em a JOB!"

The "Teach a man to fish" thing...

[snip]

"Teach him religion and he'll starve to death praying for a fish."
[snip]
Teach a man religion, and he'll spend the rest of his life going door to door telling everyone about it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Recently, I saw a bumper sticker saying "If you love Jesus, Tell Someone", I felt it should be "If you Love Jesus, SHUT UP". That's because of the THOUSANDS of people who won't ("holy verbal diarrhea").
As a former atheist, I can totally agree with the sentiment. I do try to tread lightly, and not be too gosh awful pushy. Except on Usenet!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Mr. Hunt answered with a false dichotomy--he could easily have done both.
Raymond J. Johnson, Jr. wrote:

Not to mention the fact that the people he "gave" jobs to EARNED the freaking money :o)
Raymond J. Johnson, Jr. wrote:

Yep. At 50% effectiveness each.
Rmember, Hunt brought his lunch to work every day. In a paper bag. In the SAME paper bag (until it wore out).

You've audited his books?
casey wrote:

I heard a single mother needed a computer to work on his courses to upgrade herself. Since I had a few desktops and laptops I could spare, I offered a P4 3.3 MHz desktop with a LCD monitor, network card, etc. She did not want it and said she only wants laptop. So I offered a IBM Thinkpad T42 laptop. She did not want it either. Reason? it has too small hard drive and no DVD writer. I don't think people like this are not in need, they want this and that. Hell with it.

Maybe something new...in a box...with extended warranty.
On 12/12/2009 20:54, Tony Hwang wrote:

There are people like that but I can tell you from experience there are folks who are truly happy to get anything. Don't give up because you encountered someone with an entitlement mentality. Often people who really need help (medical problems, wife left with little kids after husband dies etc) are too embarrassed to come forward.
It is also better to work with the local charitable organizations instead of the mammoth ones.
On Sat 12 Dec 2009 06:54:45p, Tony Hwang told us...

I guess the expression, "beggars can't be choosers", is no longer in the English vocabulary.
Fuck 'em!
I can barely meet my bills and may be facing bankruptcy by the middle of 2010 if things don't improve.
I have things I could give to those who might need them, but they want to choose and pick.
As far as I'm concerned, charity begins at MY home!

Years ago when my sister moved to LA she encountered a number of homeless people on a certain street. One man had a sign he'd work for food. She went in the store and bought him a sandwich. When she gave it to him, the guy promptly threw it in the trash bin. A few other homeless people jumped at the bin for the food.
The new thing now, is for somebody to approach you at a gas station and ask for money. The fake reason they give is their car broke down up the street. A woman asked me for $5. When I told her No, she kept standing there and again I told her No, this time very strongly. What was going thru my mind, is she going to attack me. Well, I still was pumping gas so it crossed my mind to spray her with the gasoline if she tried to jump me. Luckily she walked away and asked everyone else at the station.
Marina wrote:

You can always have some fun with them by acting crazy. I've had urban campers approach me while I was walking down a sidewalk and when they start talking, I will cock my head like a dog listening to its master, do the crazy eyes bit and start screaming "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" while walking toward with my arms and fingers outstretched like I'm going to touch them. Walking stiff legged can enhance the effect and the behavior can often send them running. There are lots of other things I do to them to amuse myself.
TDD