OT for home repair -- armor all on tires

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor All web site says it is good for tires, helps with UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I used AA many years ago and recall the need to reapply more frequently after each application. It appeared to wear much faster.

I have also heard that AA issue then as well and have stopped using it since. Though, I cannot conclude the legitimacy of that claim, I used other products for many years with good results.

I always take the manufacturer motto or product purity standards with a grain of salt. They are selling a product....of course they will state it's good for the intended purpose(s).

Reply to
Meanie

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:d1j8u.62000$rL6.51909 @fx14.iad:

I used it when I was younger. I noticed absolutely no detectable difference in tire life. At all. Zero. Nor did I detect any difference in the appearance of the sidewalls once the rain eventually washed away the Armor All.

Armor All /is/ pretty good for making your tires shiny temporarily, and for making you feel good about having done something nice for your ride.

Armor All is a waste of money, in my un-humble opionion.

Reply to
Tegger

My Michelin XWX tires developed severe cracks in less than a year, but they were in the sun. My dashboard also cracked. Things crack, but not this fast.

Now says has UV shield, but it's your call.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I'll see your OT and raise you.

I've heard that Armor All can be used to brighten up vinyl shutters that have faded in the sun.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hi, I concur. There are so many stuffs out there to waste money on.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I've not used it on tires, but I've heard tell that it does in fact dry out interior vinyl etc. Supposedly 303 is good stuff though. That's what I've been using and as a side benefit it doesn't leave such a glossy finish as Armor All does.

I don't like shiny tires, either... I have a bottle of tire dressing that when buffed off leaves a nice black yet matte finish. I don't know what I'll do when it runs out, as it appears that all the tire dressing sold today is ULTRA GLOSS! which just looks wrong to me.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Don't do it. Use WD-40 instead.

Reply to
krw

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz belched:

I find that spray silicone works well and use it on tires and weatherstriping. jmo

Reply to
ChairMan

I used to mostly use Murphy's oil soap, but also use silicone oil on tires. Lemon wax on dash.

I think armor all uses different component now, compared to years ago when I had problems.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I'm with you, the mfr will say anything to sell the product. "My legislation will lower the cost of....".

I didn't find anything contrary, on the web. I'd been using AA for many years, and might need a twelve step program to give it up.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A lot of things I do, are a waste of money. I think it's very likely that you're correct.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, that's a thought. I'm working on four camper trailers which haven't moved in years. I should buy those wheel covers to block from the sun light.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about venetian blinds?

I'll raise, again. WD-40, the lubricant, makes formica counter tops shine. I found that out, in a shop where I worked, years ago. Everyone knows WD is a lubricant, right?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The tech I talked to, did say that spray silicone is acceptable. He did mention tires and rubber weather stripping. Interesting you mention the same product.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The firemen used to use sugar water to shine up the firetruck tires. I Googled it and stole this from some forum... "Every now and then I see someone mention about how to make your tires look good. Well, DO NOT use Armorall or anything resembling it, because that can cause major problems when leaning in a curve. Now, back in the OLD DAYS... We didn't have any of the fancy stuff they have now. What we used was 'sugar water'... Just mix a cup of sugar in a quart of warm water, stir ir until it disolves. Then take a rag and soak it with the water, ring it out slightly, and rub the tire with it. Your tire will look better than brand new after it dries. Now, I don't know how many bees it will attract, it depends on where you live...."

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

Water and bleach solution.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I use Murphy's as well. For a real remedial cleaning (as in, you just bought a barn car but the upholstery isn't bad enough to replace) believe it or not, Permatex mechanic's hand cleaner with lanolin (but

*without* pumice, obviously) is fantastic stuff.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

re: " Well, DO NOT use Armorall or anything resembling it, because that can cause major problems when leaning in a curve."

What "major problems" will be caused when leaning into a curve? Are the sides of the tires going to be so slippery that the driver will lose control? That's some serious leaning!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Silicone on weatherstrip is great to keep it from freezing in the winter. I prefer to use silicone grease and rub it in with a rag however. Silicone on paint will make it hell for anyone who has to do any paintwork on the car on down the road. I squirt a little silicone spray inside lock cylinders as well every fall, for the same reason.

I'm using Gummi Pflege on the weatherstrip my BMW as someone said that was better than silicone. Don't know if that is just Deutsch-centric thinking or if it's really better. We'll see when it freezes...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel