OT for home repair -- armor all on tires

Page 1 of 3
Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor All web site says it is good for tires, helps with UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?
On 10/18/2013 6:57 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I used AA many years ago and recall the need to reapply more frequently after each application. It appeared to wear much faster.
I have also heard that AA issue then as well and have stopped using it since. Though, I cannot conclude the legitimacy of that claim, I used other products for many years with good results.
I always take the manufacturer motto or product purity standards with a grain of salt. They are selling a product....of course they will state it's good for the intended purpose(s).
On 10/18/2013 7:55 PM, Meanie wrote:

legislation will lower the cost of....".
I didn't find anything contrary, on the web. I'd been using AA for many years, and might need a twelve step program to give it up.

I used it when I was younger. I noticed absolutely no detectable difference in tire life. At all. Zero. Nor did I detect any difference in the appearance of the sidewalls once the rain eventually washed away the Armor All.
Armor All /is/ pretty good for making your tires shiny temporarily, and for making you feel good about having done something nice for your ride.
Armor All is a waste of money, in my un-humble opionion.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

I concur. There are so many stuffs out there to waste money on.
On 10/18/2013 08:12 PM, Tegger wrote:

I've not used it on tires, but I've heard tell that it does in fact dry out interior vinyl etc. Supposedly 303 is good stuff though. That's what I've been using and as a side benefit it doesn't leave such a glossy finish as Armor All does.
I don't like shiny tires, either... I have a bottle of tire dressing that when buffed off leaves a nice black yet matte finish. I don't know what I'll do when it runs out, as it appears that all the tire dressing sold today is ULTRA GLOSS! which just looks wrong to me.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 10/18/2013 8:12 PM, Tegger wrote:

I think it's very likely that you're correct.

My Michelin XWX tires developed severe cracks in less than a year, but they were in the sun. My dashboard also cracked. Things crack, but not this fast.
Now says has UV shield, but it's your call.
Greg
On 10/18/2013 8:24 PM, gregz wrote:

You know, that's a thought. I'm working on four camper trailers which haven't moved in years. I should buy those wheel covers to block from the sun light.
On 10/19/2013 06:46 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Four campers? All your wives won't stay in the same trailer when you go camping? ;-)
On 10/19/2013 9:57 AM, Smarty Pants wrote:

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 06:46:43 -0400, Stormin Mormon

involved in producing ozone.

I'll see your OT and raise you.
I've heard that Armor All can be used to brighten up vinyl shutters that have faded in the sun.
On 10/18/2013 8:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How about venetian blinds?
I'll raise, again. WD-40, the lubricant, makes formica counter tops shine. I found that out, in a shop where I worked, years ago. Everyone knows WD is a lubricant, right?
On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 18:57:16 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Don't do it. Use WD-40 instead.
In wrote:

I find that spray silicone works well and use it on tires and weatherstriping. jmo

I used to mostly use Murphy's oil soap, but also use silicone oil on tires. Lemon wax on dash.
I think armor all uses different component now, compared to years ago when I had problems.
Greg
On 10/19/2013 12:14 AM, gregz wrote:

I use Murphy's as well. For a real remedial cleaning (as in, you just bought a barn car but the upholstery isn't bad enough to replace) believe it or not, Permatex mechanic's hand cleaner with lanolin (but *without* pumice, obviously) is fantastic stuff.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

they were 20 years ago too.

I have used Lexol leather conditioner on leather and vinyl. Never tried it on tires.
Greg