OT, Extremely Cool Way To Clear Trees Around Power Lines

I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I would think the dangers out-weigh convenience here! Can you imagine that cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

cool! what could possibly go wrong?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Old hat. A similar rig was featured in The World Is Not Enough, a 13 yr old James Bond movie:

notbob

This is even more interesting..

Attila.Iskander

I had a summer job trimming trees once. Part of the job was to paint the shiners to prevent bugs from infecting trees. Maybe they lower a person with a paint can after removing the saw.

Reply to
Metspitzer

cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

You have a point there. I've seen people crossing streets with cars on them too. I've never take that risk, you can get killed doing that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

t cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

How would you suggest they cut the limbs that are that far up...and cut fours miles of limbs per day?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

at cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

Cars are too heavy to carry!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

hat cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

I didn't know it was my job to figure that out...I must have been promoted without a check! How did they do it before?

Reply to
Bob_Villa

that cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

Hey, I only asked because you had an opinion related to the "dangers out-weighing the convenience".

I thought maybe you had some idea on a better way...well maybe not better, but perhaps just safer.

My thoughts on having workers hike up into the trees and climb each one to do the trimming is that it probably takes way too long and is probably just as expensive.

From a safety perspective - and based on the videos of workers climbing onto (and off of) the wire via helicopter - I think that the pilots pretty much know what they are doing and the danger of cutting a wire is pretty slim. It's had to tell from the video just how close they are to the lines but I'm assuming that they are far enough away that cutting them is not an issue.

However, when I watched the videos of the workers climbing out of the helicopters and onto the wires, all I could think of was how little wind it would take to push the aircraft into the wires or push it away as a worker was transferring. I know that they are hooked on, but if a sudden movment occurred just as they were reaching out to hook on, things could go bad very quickly.

Those guys are way out my league! Last weekend I walked back and forth across a railroad trestle in a state park. The bridge is 820 feet long and 240 feet above the bottom of the gorge. While I glanced briefly down into the gorge to see the waterfall, my eyes were mostly glued to the metal walkway in front of me as I walked. The walk was sort of a "present" to my son who had graduated from college that morning. He wanted to cross, so I went with him, even though I am very afraid of heights.

Reply to
DerbyDad03