OT - ETQ generator not starting

Monday May 09, 2016
Maybe ten years ago, I bought a 1200 watt ETQ generator. Two stroke gas mixer. Looks a considerable lot like the Harbor Freight 800/900 watt generator. Layout of switches and sockets and all.
When I ought the machine, pour in some gas mix. Stared uup on three or four pulls. Very quiet. Delivers electricity. I used it one cold winter day when a guy I new had the power shut off. I want to say March 01, 2007. Temps near zero, and his house was old one with probably no insulation. Ra fine to power his furnace gas vanlve and blower.
Sadly, I ran the generatout out of gas, hoping to lot let th fuel gum up. And it became hard to start. Started on ether.
I pulled it out, Saturday, for a test run. Pour in a splash of gas mix. Runs a half second on ether, did that twice. And then nothing. Pull and pull. Choke, and not choke. Still, nothimg. I tried a different spark plug. Tried the spark plug teter. Which is when I find the spark is not there. Yes, switch is on. Cycle the off switch a couple times.
What to check, next? The lawn mower shop near me gets $80 labor rate per hour. And I paid $130, post paid for the unit. Don't want to take it to a shop.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 11:03:20 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd say the usual, start with checking the fuel lines, prime bulb, etc then proceed to disassembling the carb and cleaning it.
On 5/9/2016 11:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:

1) won't run on ether 2) no spark, at my spark checker.
Would you like another chance?
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 11:47:44 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yeah, sorry, read it too quick. I'd be suspect about your spark tester. You sure there's no spark? Obviously there was spark at one point, with it firing. Possible it's intermittent. Find a diagram, locate the ignition module, magneto, whatever they use?
On 5/9/2016 12:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I did pull the recoil off. Expose the flywheel. No magneto around the outside. Might be under the flywheel. I'm about at the extent of my experience. if this were an old Briggs, I'd knock off the fly wheel and look at points. But, it's too new a machine, and I don't have a knocker for these smaller units.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/9/2016 4:45 PM, David L. Martel wrote:

Yes, good idea. Two spark plugs and a spark tester. None of the above shows spark, or starts the engine.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Anyone notice how much of a good boy I am being?
--
Tekkie

On 5/9/2016 10:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

what I'd do is take the air cleaner off, spray some choke cleaner or starter spray in it and see if it fires. If not take the spark plug out and see if it has any spark. If you can get it running on the carb spray keep it running till it starts pickup up fuel from the carb or clean the carb. If it's the spark not sparking you are in for a little learning experience and I doubt if it's worth a new ignition module. I had one of those that locked up.. I gave it away and I don't usually do that but it only put out 800 watts on a good day and the coffee maker takes 900 watts. Let's see what we can find on youtube....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=harbor+freight+small+generator

On 5/9/2016 7:06 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

CY: Saturday, I did get it to almost run, twice, on ether. Later, no sounds of life.
If not take the spark plug out

CY: Did so. No sign of spark.
If you can get it running on the carb

CY: I've had that happen on small engines.
If it's the spark not sparking you are in for a little

CY: My guess is you are totally correct.

CY: Might be time to invest in propane stove and a camp coffee pot? In theory, my ETQ was to run my furnace during power cuts.
Let's see what we can find on youtube....

CY: I'll have a look at the link, some time. Thank you for a thoughtful reply.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/9/2016 6:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

As far as staying warm when the power goes out or if you're me, when it's on ... http://www.factorybuysdirect.com/procom-reconditioned-dual-fuel-vent-free-infrared-heater-20-000-btu-model-md3tpa/?gclid=CLiajrWTzswCFQERaQodZesILg ... Yeah I know these aren't approved for much of anything, but they work and 99.9% efficient, I don't know where the 0.01 gets lost but I guess it does. The oxygen depletion sensor amounts to a metered pilot light flame that doesn't heat the pilot sensor enough if the oxygen in the room drops to much. What do most folks do when the power goes out? they use the kitchen stove. By the way the cats and dogs love the radiant heat from these things.
On 05/09/2016 06:41 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

Most "waste" energy becomes heat, so a heater can be very efficient. Some of the energy gets converted to light.

If you have a gas stove. I hear that's not very efficient as a space heater.

I know someone who's been using such a heater a lot this winter. I'm trying to convince her that propane costs more in those little (about 1lb) bottles.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 5/10/2016 3:00 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Throwing away empty propane cylinders is always more expensive than pumping propane into your OPD tank.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 05/09/2016 06:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

The last major power outage we had here was in late May of last year, when a tornado came through. It was hot, so I needed the generator for window A/C (and I also had one of those spray water bottles with a small battery-operated fan on it).
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 5/10/2016 2:53 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Nice to know that your generator will run a window AC. I'd dare to guess that made life more comfortable. I've heard hurricanes often come with high heat and humidity. Less sure about tornados.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

They are the "ultimate heat engine" so yes, high heat and humidity are VERY common with Tornados. Not always humidity - but up here in the "interlaken" tornado alley, for sure. (almost always associated with thunder storms, regardless)
On Mon, 9 May 2016 11:03:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Disconnect the switch - that will eliminate a bad switch (it grounds to kill the spark) Being a cheap chinese engine, it COULD still have points - pop the flywheel off and check. If it uses solid state ignition you MIGHT get away with putting in a point conversion module if you can still find one for a 2 stroke.
Basically though, if it's going to waste more than an hour of otherwise productive time, you are throwing good money after bad.
On 5/9/2016 10:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks, I'll try disconnect the kill switch. And, yes I agree with you, that spending a lot of time on this disposable unit is a waste of a lot of time. Good project for days with nothing to do.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/9/2016 11:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Harbor Freight selling ETQ knockoffs?
On 5/10/2016 8:12 PM, Captain Obvious wrote:

My guess is same factory in China.
--
.
Christopher A. Young