OT: disposing of ashes from a grill

Page 2 of 2

Tom Miller wrote:

(http://www.cityofchicago.org/Environment/SolidWaste/Composting/CompostingGuide.html )
Well that's interesting but mixing ashes into the soil is not "composting." Some of this is obviously true but some of the statements are obviously in error. As an example ""charcoal ash, contains sulfur dioxide which can harm plants " Certainly sulfur dioxide is harmful to plants, but sulfur dioxide is a gas and could not be in charcoal ash or any other ash. It would have burned out and floated away.
snipped-for-privacy@xxoptonline.net (Tom Miller) wrote:

All the more reason to use hardwood lump charcoal. Wood and fire, nice and simple.

Don't?
Kingsford's big claim to fame is the nice gray ashes. This is produced by adding limestone to the charcoal, so that it is like 5% of the product. Cheap generic charcoal is better in this regard.
I use natural lump wood charcoal. Not only does it smell much sweeter, making better tasting food, it generates like 25% of the volume of ash that Kingsford does. Burns hotter, so you don't need as much as well.
IMHO, lump charcoal in a Weber kettle is the way to go. Or a true bbq pit.
Okay, you have my attention :) Can I buy this stuff anywhere, like at my local Stuff*Mart?
wrote:

the
The bag Lump charcoal at Ace didnt last worth a dam , cost more and burned out faster. For cooking anything longer than steaks you would have trouble controling and keeping constant temp and would need to re add charcoal every 15 minutes So what is bad with regular charcoal , besides lime , which wont hurt anything in concentrations added.

I dunno, it can be hard to find. I get mine at Menard's, or a resturant supply house.
As others have pointed out, it is different, and takes a little getting used to.

the
Tried the lump charcoal - a local store brand, but it seemed like 1/2 the stuff consisted of chips so small that they fell right through the grill, wasted. Gotta find another brand, I guess.
snipped-for-privacy@seamlyne.com says...

William-
Moving TO charcoal? Why?
Truthfully, it wasn't about moving to charcoal from propane, as much as it was increasing the size of the available cooking area for a reasonable price. My old propane grill is just large enough to grill a four pound chicken, cut into pieces. Now, if I'm cooking for my other family - brother and his wife, the in-laws, have a couple of friends over - I have to cook in shifts.
So, I go shopping for grills. In every instance I found, a small increase in size came with a huge jump in price. Add little auxillary burners on the side, a little tool rack, and I'm suddenly paying three to four times what my little grill would cost today, and I can't get what I want anyway which is just a larger cook surface. No burners, no shelves, no tool racks, just more room!
I'm walking out of Lowes one day, and see a large kettle-style grill: huge cook surface, little shelves on the side, $88 on clearance. Everything I want in one fifty pound package, for a quarter of the price of smaller grills I was looking at.
What I've found is that charcoal is less convenient and a little messier - you also can't really turn it off when you're done except to shut the dampers and slow it down. On the other hand, it tastes a little better and I have better control over the cooking zones - I control the hotspots. I can throw wood chips directly on coals, and don't have to use a smoker cup.
- Wm
says...

ought
the

Because propane (or other gas)sucks for grilling,compared to charcoal.
Apologies if I bollixed the attributes.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

I disagree, based on convenience of gas, preference for tasting the meat (not the heat!), and so forth, but rather than start a quasi-religious war, will accept that this is a case of different strokes for different folks.
:-)
Happy grilling, all!
Marc

Yeah,that's why all the barbeque competitions use wood or coal to run their smokers.Sure,gas is convinient,but no match or charcoal or wood for flavor. IMO,flavor is most important.
But as you say,YMMV.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

ought
the
Okay, now that we've beaten the briquette question to death, here's the next one: I've got two propane tanks to find a home for. Short of tossing one under my neighbor's porch and putting a bullet in it, where can I send the tanks? The grill itself will go to the junk yard.
- Wm
message

next
I set my old ones on the curb, somebody wanted them more than me! I have a old TV that is going there next. Chances are someone will grab it to. Greg
The City Dump "supervisor" saw me throw gas tanks in the scrap metal heap and just asked if they were empty.
message

next