OT Current terrible deafness plague!

Have you noticed that many drivers are evidently getting very deaf? You can hear the radio very clearly in cars far far away. If the occupants were not deaf, the music would likely be painfully loud in the car. I can clearly hear the radios several blocks away, and I'm hard=of-hearing myself from AAA fire in the military.

I wonder what is causing all this deafness? Some evidently very contageous disease. It's been around for many years but seems to be getting worse. I hope I can avoid it. Maybe they will come up with a vaccine?

Reply to
KenK

There is no cure for stupid. Just rest assured that these obnoxious folks will suffer deafness in their latter years.

Reply to
Frank

WHAT?

Reply to
J Burns

If it's too loud you're too old.

Reply to
rbowman

Per KenK:

I can't figure out if this post was tongue-in-cheek or straight-up.

Either way, I would think there is widespread nerve deafness starting in a certain age group - the ones that started going to rock concerts and continuing in to the ones who listen to much of their music via earbuds.

Above so many dBs, the nerves just slowly die.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Oren:

My neighbor calls it "Male-pattern deafness".

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

There is a whole lot of occupational related deafness. Most of the old school computer techs I know are deaf. It came from impact line printers, card punches and check sorters. The static dB levels in a computer room wihout any printers or sorters could be up in the 85-90 range, just from all of the cooling fans, vacuum pumps (in tape drives) and air handlers. It was an insidious white noise that you just got used to.

Reply to
gfretwell

Listening to loud music is the #1 cause nowadays....even musicians in bands wear hearing protection because the impact sound causes damage. My daughter was in USMC band and they wore hearing protection. Other major cause is high-pitch machine noise, mowers, etc.

Reply to
Norminn

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Tongue-in-cheek