OT Current terrible deafness plague!

Have you noticed that many drivers are evidently getting very deaf? You can hear the radio very clearly in cars far far away. If the occupants were not deaf, the music would likely be painfully loud in the car. I can clearly hear the radios several blocks away, and I'm hard=of-hearing myself from AAA fire in the military.
I wonder what is causing all this deafness? Some evidently very contageous disease. It's been around for many years but seems to be getting worse. I hope I can avoid it. Maybe they will come up with a vaccine?
On 4/10/2015 12:39 PM, KenK wrote:

Just rest assured that these obnoxious folks will suffer deafness in their latter years.
Per Oren:

My neighbor calls it "Male-pattern deafness".
--
Pete Cresswell

On 4/10/15, 12:39 PM, KenK wrote:

On 04/10/2015 10:39 AM, KenK wrote:

If it's too loud you're too old.
Per KenK:

I can't figure out if this post was tongue-in-cheek or straight-up.
Either way, I would think there is widespread nerve deafness starting in a certain age group - the ones that started going to rock concerts and continuing in to the ones who listen to much of their music via earbuds.
Above so many dBs, the nerves just slowly die.
--
Pete Cresswell

There is a whole lot of occupational related deafness. Most of the old school computer techs I know are deaf. It came from impact line printers, card punches and check sorters. The static dB levels in a computer room wihout any printers or sorters could be up in the 85-90 range, just from all of the cooling fans, vacuum pumps (in tape drives) and air handlers. It was an insidious white noise that you just got used to.
Tongue-in-cheek
On 4/10/2015 12:39 PM, KenK wrote:

bands wear hearing protection because the impact sound causes damage. My daughter was in USMC band and they wore hearing protection. Other major cause is high-pitch machine noise, mowers, etc.