OT: Computer memory low

Page 2 of 6
benick wrote:

Right-click on this post and pick "properties." You'll see I'm using Outlook Express (with Quote-Fix).
But of course I'm a Luddite.

OE is a a huge piece of "Swiss cheese" as far as security is concerned. And most have changed because they dropped hotmail integration. being
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:32:50 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

Do you use Hibernate a lot. If so, Restart windows instead of Hibernating or Standing by. Even if you don't use it a lot, if your session has been long or did something to use up memrory (what that might be I don't know), maybe restarting will help.

How much memory *do* you have. What OS are you running. If this were a computer newsgroup, you'd be chastised for not giving that ifo first!
Task manager is good, but System Explorer is even better and also free. Mostly I like it because it says, pretty much**, what program is writing or reading the harddrive, if harddrive activity is more than you expect.
**I presume it doesn't manage to diplay the calling program for every read and right.
I too have gotten two virtural memory messages in recent weeks, when running FF, but otoh I have only 1 gig and may have 80 tabs open. So I might be on the edge anyhow. Next computer has 3 gigs and I hope to start using it soon.
It's best if you're not using virtual memory (the swapfile) at all,

Only 3??? I just put 16 in the machine I've been working on the last couple of weeks (but it IS a server). I've got 2 gigs on most of the workstations - running XP Pro. I think I'd consider that minimum on a Win7 machine.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:20:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hey, unless you're ready to buy me more, don't make fun.
XP can see up to 3 gig usually.
Higgs Boson wrote:

The message does NOT come from the operating system, it is a construct of an application program (possibly Firefox).
Try using Internet Explorer for a while and see if the problem disappears.
That's probably a good idea anyway; Firefox has been known to give your cat warts. (If you don't have a cat, you'll probably be okay. Except for the flames, of course.)

== With Windows XP I have noticed a strange lag after using the latest version of Firefox. Before the next program loads it seems like the system has to regain some memory area that was previously allocated to FF. Maybe its my imagination but I never noticed this before the new FF came out. Has anyone else noticed this? ==
Roy wrote:

Played with page file size? Ever heard of page file or page file thrashing or virtual memory? Only start the application you need when computer is booted. Don't load any thing you don't need. Also make sure your cpu has good size L1 and L2 chache memory.

It not like you can change the size of your cache Tony?! You have what you have, and that's it.
Bob Villa wrote:

Then you liked a wrong machine. I assemble all Desktops when I need new one. Laptops are all Thinkpads. House is wireless networked on dual band and even Skype wireless phone is on it, wireless AIO printer is shared. Our browser is Seamonkey. All boxes are on Vista Ultimate except mine which is triple boot, guess what I am booting.
On 1/17/2011 7:46 PM, Roy wrote:

20-30 seconds at a time, hard drive light burning brightly, a lot more often since the upgrade to the current version. Or maybe it just doesn't play nice with the upgraded PCTools anti-everything package.
--
aem sends...

I still put up with IE

The reason given meoriginally NOT to use IE was that it "leaked" more than others. Is that true? Any test data on that -- not anecdotal? Any data on that?
TIA
HB
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:04:37 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

On 1/17/2011 9:04 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

IE has a long history of memory leaks on certain javascript DOM calls. That may, or may not be an issue depending on what is on the web page you are viewing. Mostly this is mitigated by both MS and the people who write problematic code, but not entirely.
It does use substantially less memory than FF, that is probably because it is more tightly integrated in.
I'm a web programmer/developer. I do not like IE, none of us do (buggy and incomplete implementation of web standards). But on a minimal system, IE will work where FF will have problems.
With all that said, it really is Norton causing the trouble, not FF.
Jeff

Hey!!! A kindred spirit??? Norton USED to be the best you could get. Norton Utilities was the best disk editor, back when Peter Norton WAS Norton.The early Norton AntiVirus was precedent setting. But today there are so many products that are SO MUCH better than Norton's offering - particularly in how little they interfere with the real business of "computing" Norton products today just get in the way of everything, consuming resources in prodigious ammounts.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is what you are saying. If you are an expert on low language(machine code) You can do anything you want. Norton stuff is nothing but memory hogger. It also snoops on your system.

As usual, Tony, I have no idea if you are agreeing with me or dissagreeing.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I am just throwing something so you can further think. Stuff like Norton will slow down the system and even cause a problem. Best thing to do with a home PC is just protect it from Virus attack, block all the garbage coming in and load it with just what you need(applications). Never upgrade anything if things are doing fine. If you want to upgrade wait until it is proven well.

internet running a Windows system, it is VERY good policy to install Microsoft's security updates (to "plug" the holes in the system) as they are made available. To protect it from a virus attack requires some sort of anti-virus. Norton is almost a virus itself. There are simple virus protection programs out there that DO work and do not assume, like Norton does, that you are an absolute idiot and will take no responsibility for your actions on the net or elsewhere.
They are, however, totally useless if you do not install the signature updates in a very timely manner. If you don't, you are susceptible to first day type attacks.(may as well not have antivirus if it is not up to date)
I work with this stuff on a daily basis.