[OT] Communicating without grid power

Page 1 of 4
Got this from a friend: ======================================Chris, without power the only way that I understand that you could communicate is by foot, horse, bicycle, runner other than that you could shout, maybe you can give me other Idea's. Scott ====================================== What ideas do we have for Scott?
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:23:57 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A cell phone.
On 9/15/2015 8:33 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Scott's wife had a cell phone, might still have. Running struggle to buy minutes for it. Cell phones rely on towers, which might or might not have backup power.
Their residential phone number comes over the internet cable which goes dead with the power failure. They also use cordless phones, which go dead with the power failure.
The last couple power cuts, my residential phone worked fine. And the cell phone also worked.
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 7:45:32 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

...pointless statement because there would be no power to the phone modem.

all my home telco/ISP/WIFI equipment is on a UPS.
On 09/15/2015 07:22 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

How big is your battery bank? We had a problem this summer where about 10,000 were without power for over three days. Can you operate that long after the lights go out?

oh, no. I don't know how long I could operate. I really should unjumble that rat's nest of wires and figure out what is really connected to the UPS. I know my printer/fax is, in case there was an incoming fax. But now that I am on voicemail, the fax is no longer automatic - time to power it from other than the UPS. I can't remember the last time I received a fax, either.
My theory is I could always power from the car in some fashion or another. Or drag out the generator, which I might to run my fridge if we were really out that long.
My better theory is - aw, just forget about it and get some sleep.

During Charley I had my car parked next to the house and ran extension cords in from the array of inverters I had hooked to the battery.
By Wilma I had this, cobbled up from junk I had in the garage.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg
Now we have a real generator.
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:47:27 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

It was an old pressure cleaner with a bad pump. This will run the 2 onboard inverters and charge a big deep cycle trolling motor battery without breathing hard. With jumper cables I can charge my golf cart 2 batteries at a time too. That is a buttload of battery power.

You know, that does look very capable. I bet you use a solid brass fucknozzle for it, and then you're cooking with gas? I like the versatile multiple things you can do.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'd say so. :) What's it pushing amp wise? over 100 or so?
--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.

I don't know much about the alternator. A junkyard guy said it was a nice one and charged me $20 for it. I got it for something else and never used it. Then I had the idea of using it on a pressure washer someone gave me when the pump went bad. I use the little UPS battery, just to tickle the alternator to get it going. I imagine a big capacitor would work for that too. It was a common trick on old Triumph choppers to get rid of the battery and lower the seat.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Fri, 18 Sep 2015 02:09:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

You're a very resourceful and intelligent individual!
--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:27:43 AM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:

...happy for you! ( ͡ʘ╭͜ʖ╮͡ʘ)
On 09/15/2015 08:22 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

A tornado passed by here in May. Wired phone was out for several days. UPS didn't matter. No problems with water (city has a generator).
BTW, cell phones still worked (I had Verizon and Sprint phones, so I know those worked).
--
101 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Interesting. I have never lost POTS service in 32 years of hurricanes and lesser storms. It helps a lot that our phone system uses buried fiber up to the head end on the street and buried copper for the last leg to the house. It also makes DSL go pretty fast. I ditched Comcast after Charley when we were down for 2 1/2 weeks and when Wilma hit, my DSL was only out for about an hour. The phone itself kept going and I was able to do stuff online on dial up. The satellite was useless during the actual storm but was back right after. My antenna still got the local news just fine throughout the whole storm.
http://www.winlink.org/content/e_mail_or_without_internet
E-mail With or Without the Internet
This Powerpoint presentation describes the Winlink system in all it's modes of operation--from the traditional, internet-linked server network to the Hybrid and Peer-to-Peer RF-linked networks that provide both fast message transport and reliable delivery with or without working internet connections. Introduces radio-only operation for users.
Amateur Radio License NOT included!

I remember E-mail long before the internet was available to the masses. Services like Compuserve were out there when PCs in the home were still fairly rare. By the time the IBM PC started rolling out in any real quantity we had Prodigy and later AOL. They were fairly mature services by the time the internet was added.
Internally many companies had E-mail under different names and there was usually a dial up portal into the network.

We also had Usenet mail, which needed to be manually routed using "bang paths" to the destination. Users would usually give their email addresses in relation to a well-known host such as ihnp4 or decwrl, such as:
...ihnp4!invxc!isrnix!zipvax!gomez
So in the above example (based on a piece of scrap paper in my drawer) if you knew the path to "ihnp4" you could then complete the path to send email to user gomez on host zipvax.
This was in the days when Usenet was still transported over UUCP rather than the internet, and dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I was a Fidonet SysOp for a few years, running RBBS-PC on an 8088 based IBM PC with over 500 users.
Prodigy was originally called Trintex, a joint venture between three companies. It was the first online service I had seen with ads running on the bottom of the screen.
I go back a ways in telecommunications. My first "IT" job was stripping down Teletype machines for rebuilding at a Western Union shop in Mahwah , NJ
Steve