OT - comfortable work shoes

Page 1 of 3
The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.
My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.
Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than 8 months?
The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.
My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.
Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than 8 months?
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:18:29 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

My working/hiking/hunting boots are the Katahdin Iron Works Boots from LL Bean. They are comfortable, rugged, waterproof and made in the USA by RedWing. That's the good news.
The bad news is they cost $200, but they will last you for a very long time. For the last five years I have worn mine every day of the week for just about all occasions, except for marryings and buryings, and I'd guess the soles have another two years left before needing replacement.
Your boots are your personal interface with Mother Earth and a good pair is a wise investment.
Here's a link to the LL Bean site - http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57044?feat=osbsr ---- Diogenes
The wars are long, the peace is frail The madmen come again . . . .
Erratum -
The Katahdin Iron Works Boots are made in the USA by Chippewa Boot Company, not RedWing. My error.
---- Diogenes
The wars are long, the peace is frail The madmen come again . . . .
I visited a Redwing shoe store, today. In the non-steel toe, they have two kind of "working man's sneakers" for about $75 and $85, I should have written the numbers down. By appearance, they look just like the Tredsafe sneakers at Walmart, that don't last a year.
Oxfords, about $135, permanant sole. Can't be resoled, if they wear thin.
I wasn't impressed with the sales guy who repeatedly took the shoe out of my hand, and put it back on the rack. If I'm going to spend a hundred bucks, I'd like to at least have a look at the product. It's not like I'm going to destroy it by looking.
On Jul 19, 12:15pm, "Stormin Mormon"

I'm more of a work boot kind of guy, but I've been wearing nothing but Red Wings daily for years, still have a pair that is probably 4 years old, my favorite pair of boots. They're badly scuffed and the soles are a little worn, but with a little polish they actually look decent and they're comfortable as heck.
nate
The sales drone today encouraged me to bring the shoes in every month, so they could do the maintenance. Takes about five minutes, includes laces, shine, leather treatment, and gosh knows what else.
I don't know how close you are, to the store.
I'm more of a work boot kind of guy, but I've been wearing nothing but Red Wings daily for years, still have a pair that is probably 4 years old, my favorite pair of boots. They're badly scuffed and the soles are a little worn, but with a little polish they actually look decent and they're comfortable as heck.
nate
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Did you really say that?
today encouraged me to bring ... <clip>

His holiness will only answer you if you: a) show proper decorum/politeness b) supplicate yourself as his inferior c) geneuflect before his wonderfulness for all to see and d) "if The Spirit" moves him.
IOW, don't expect any answers from this nutjob.
Lg

On 20/07/12 10:33, Nicholas wrote:

Oh, I thought that was his problem; that no one was interested in his nuts.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:20:37 +1000, terryc

I mean to say, more than one member of our n/g (alt.survival) thinks he has crossed the line between normal and whatever else is outside the circle.
Since I worked as a Ward Orderly at Jamaica Plain Mental Hospital at Jamaica Plain Mass. when younger (the hospital has since closed), he reminds me of some of the patients we used to have. Of course, I worked ward C2, the one for the hardened psychos. This guy probably would have been on C1 where the less threatening lunatics were "treated."
Lg
Stormin Mormon wrote:

He sized you up correctly. Anybody that can't be trusted to keep live batteries in his flashlight probably isn't up to greasing a pair of boots.

If you don't like it, stop fondeling the pumps in the women's shoe department.

I was buying dickies oxfords. But, the last pair irritated the top of my right foot. I didn't figure out how to correct it. Black leather, steel front, anti slip. Other than that, I buy whatever i like at kmart.
Greg
Butch wrote:

How else can he pick out your birthday present?

Does that make you jealous, Michele?
Butch wrote:

Yawn. I wear 11 EEEEEE diabetic shows
Spooky! That's the size I was fondl^h^h^h^h holding!

Yawn. I wear 11 EEEEEE diabetic shows
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My feet were 8 1/2 W before I got sick.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You sure you weren't looking at snowshoes? EEEEEE classifies you as Little Sandy Sleighfoot, doesn't it?