OT: Can you tell the difference between sounds behind you and in front of you?

If you aim one ear towards a bass note and the other away from it (i.e. the note is on your left), your left ear will hear it louder, that is a fact. Not because it's closer, but because the sound doesn't have to go round corners to get to that ear. You simply don't need any other method.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Since I wear hearing aids, I often can hear sounds that I don't recognize, and I can't tell which direction it's coming from regardless of how I turn my head.

Reply to
Muggles

That's the sound generator Don and Philo put in last year. It's designed to drive you crazy. Danny D found the plans on the net, and I picked the lock on your door for us to get in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mr Macaw

Then you don't qualify to answer the question :-P

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Agreed, but apparently some people can tell without moving their head at all. Which I find odd.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The most important thing is you hear it above the noise of your engine, and through the closed windows, and above other traffic noise. When you know there is one, you look around to see the flashing lights. You can't tell the direction of any sound properly inside a car anyway.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You don't need the direction, that's why they have flashing lights. Unless you're a pedestrian, you cannot tell the direction of any noise. You are inside an enclosed box.

Sounds good, but it seems to work here without that. People simply move to ether side, onto the pavement, etc and leave a gap.

I can hear the siren long before it ever gets to me, plenty of time to scan all the mirrors to find it, then plan a place to park.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why do they need a red light to stop? They should stop if there's an emergency vehicle coming the other way. The blue lights bounce of buildings and you can hear the siren half a mile away. Why would you enter an intersection when you can hear an emergency vehicle coming, which you know isn't behind you (as you've checked your mirrors)?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

In the UK, you'd never get done for running a red light to let an emergency vehicle through. Your cops can't be that stupid surely?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Does that include speeding?

In the UK all cameras have to be clearly visible and marked with yellow stripes.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Per Mr Macaw:

If you are driving one of those things and counting on what you said to keep yourself alive and uninjured, I would strongly recommend re-visiting your assumptions.

If you have police friends on duty, they might cover your butt after the crash occurs, but you will still incur the injuries.

When I used to hang out at the local ambulance club, I always heard that the first rule of emergency response was not to create any additional emergencies.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Actually, most people can NOT hear the approach of an emergency vehicle, let alone correctly identify WHERE it's coming from nor how far away it is. Witness the number of crashes that occur (in intersections) as folks THINK they have time to get across -- when, in fact, they don't.

There is actually a lot of research into making emergency vehicles "more noticeable" (when not directly visible). And, as cars have become more sound-proofed, cabins filled with "premium sound systems" and drivers distracted by Aunt Bessie on the phone, the problem gets worse instead of better!

Reply to
Don Y

Per Mr Macaw:

Hard to generalize, but at least one USA police department disqualifies applicants if their IQ is too high.

viz:

Combine that with the authority over other people that attracts certain personality disorders - much as fire departments attract pyromaniacs and children's care facilities attract pedophiles - and I'm sure that the police have statistically more than their share of "stupid"... maybe it's only 2.3% instead of 1%... but it has to be higher than, say, carpentry or plumbing.

In support of that, the Rodney King thing happened when? 1991?

Yet it seems like a significant percent of the police force *still* hasn't gotten it through their head that they may be on Candid Camera.

Either that or a certain percentage feels an extremely-strong sense of entitlement to perform certain illegal acts.

RE/the link above: "Most Cops Just Above Normal: The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average."

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I doubt it, it's just not needed. There's the far simpler method of just analysing the volume.

Try this: sit in front of your stereo with the speakers in the usual place, equidistant from your head, one on the left and one on the right. Move the balance control around, and the sound appears to come from different places. This works equally well for all frequencies. All the stereo has done is change the volume of each speaker, it doesn't alter phase or timing at all.

Now you might be thinking of surround sound at this point.... "stereos" with many speakers around the room only work because you might move your head a bit. Try a fake surround sound generated by only two speakers using your computer, and it just doesn't work.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Lots of places frown on "independant thought" -- most are concerned with "following orders" (without pausing to reflect on them) or being easily manipulated (e.g., juries, electorate).

Yet, they NEVER seem to make mistakes! (OhMiGosh!) Makes one wonder if we shouldn't swap all the doctors with cops and vice versa... I'd much prefer having someone who never makes mistakes standing over me on the operating table!

It's interesting to consider folks you grew up with that gravitated to the military, police, fire, etc. and think about them in hindsight...

Actually, I thought average was 110-ish (despite the fact that 100 is the theoretical "average") but that tends to be southeastern asian countries. I think US average is closer to 98. This is actually amusing to consider as it is supposed to reflect intelligence relative to your peers (age group) -- so, on average, we're below average?? :>

At Trump rallies, it's probably closer to 78 (*his* presence alone brings the average WAY DOWN!!)

Reply to
Don Y

Per Don Y:

Yeah... I'm waiting for one of the standup comics I listen to say that cell phone videos of police should be outlawed because, obviously, we never had any of these murder-by-cop problems before cell phone videos became common.

In fact, I *think* one of the states tried to outlaw civilian videos of police recently. Dunno how it came out - or even if I got it right in the first place.... but, either way, it sure sounds like SCOTUS material to me.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It's the INVISIBLE RAYS that the phones put out when the camera is on! They interfere with the thought processes of those folks being filmed. Cause them to act out-of-character.

Long term exposure has been known to cause CANCER, IMPOTENCE and even STERILITY, in some cases!

Yup. And, if it's OK for *me* to be filmed "in a public place", then surely someone that *I* am paying should be able to be filmed, as well! I mean, how do we know they aren't bad guys MASQUERADING as police officers? "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance..."

What are you trying to hide??

Reply to
Don Y

I think you're missing the bigger picture. Why would life forms even "want" to solve problems in the first place? What propels different species of animals to keep changing their design, so to speak? It happens at the cellular level as well. Mitosis is a religously inspiring experience because *something's" making all those strands of DNA and RNA dance in a way that makes them replicate.

Convergent evolution may be proof of an over-arching intelligent force. Why do life-forms evolve separate solutions to the same sorts of problems? Why does life seem to *want* to evolve? What drives life-forms to solve these problems at all? Why do insects with ultra-fast jaws appear to evolve that trait independently with completely different gene sets and completely (AFAWK) on their own on different continents? What force compels birds to become more keen-sighted generation after generation?

What explains the creation of the incredible forms of mimickry that exist? These could be just random mutations, as some suggest, but I believe they're an evidence of the very essence of a "life force" that propels life forward. Is it God? As we said in the Pentagon, that's above my pay grade, sir! But it is food for thought.

Reply to
Robert Green

:-)

Reply to