OT: Can you tell the difference between sounds behind you and in front of you?

Page 2 of 3
Per Don Y:

At least some of them are thinking of the possibility of some Super-Trooper standing by to issue tickets for running a red light.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/11/2016 6:30 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

"Photo-enforcement", here.
Well, until recent citizen's initiative rewrote the city laws to make it illegal to use a camera for traffic violations.
Yesterday, I was at one of the intersections that had previously been monitored by a camera. THE "intersection", here, is defined by extending the curb lines of the crossing streets. I.e., the "stop line" (in this case) is a full 30 feet BEFORE the "intersection".
Must stop before your vehicle ENTERS the intersection, as light turns red.
So, I found myself stopped 30 feet PAST the stop line, PAST the crosswalk feeling pretty much "exposed" -- just to ensure I was in compliance with the law... "just in case". Lots of folks behind me annoyed that I'd not continued through the intersection ("Hey, why are you stopping? Cameras have been turned off!")

Does that include speeding?
In the UK all cameras have to be clearly visible and marked with yellow stripes.
--
United Airlines Flight Attendant: "Ladies and Gentlemen, as you are all now painfully aware, our Captain has landed in Seattle. From all of us at United Airlines we'd like to thank you for flying with us today and please be very careful as you open the overhead bins as you may be killed by falling luggage that shifted during our so called "touch down."

In the UK, you'd never get done for running a red light to let an emergency vehicle through. Your cops can't be that stupid surely?
--
Scientists recently conducted a marijuana taste test.
Nobody seems to be able to remember the results.

Hard to generalize, but at least one USA police department disqualifies applicants if their IQ is too high.
viz: http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id 836
Combine that with the authority over other people that attracts certain personality disorders - much as fire departments attract pyromaniacs and children's care facilities attract pedophiles - and I'm sure that the police have statistically more than their share of "stupid"... maybe it's only 2.3% instead of 1%... but it has to be higher than, say, carpentry or plumbing.
In support of that, the Rodney King thing happened when? 1991?
Yet it seems like a significant percent of the police force *still* hasn't gotten it through their head that they may be on Candid Camera.
Either that or a certain percentage feels an extremely-strong sense of entitlement to perform certain illegal acts.
RE/the link above: "Most Cops Just Above Normal: The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average."
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/15/2016 11:57 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Lots of places frown on "independant thought" -- most are concerned with "following orders" (without pausing to reflect on them) or being easily manipulated (e.g., juries, electorate).

Yet, they NEVER seem to make mistakes! (OhMiGosh!) Makes one wonder if we shouldn't swap all the doctors with cops and vice versa... I'd much prefer having someone who never makes mistakes standing over me on the operating table!

It's interesting to consider folks you grew up with that gravitated to the military, police, fire, etc. and think about them in hindsight...

Actually, I thought average was 110-ish (despite the fact that 100 is the theoretical "average") but that tends to be southeastern asian countries. I think US average is closer to 98. This is actually amusing to consider as it is supposed to reflect intelligence relative to your peers (age group) -- so, on average, we're below average?? :>
At Trump rallies, it's probably closer to 78 (*his* presence alone brings the average WAY DOWN!!)
Per Don Y:

Yeah... I'm waiting for one of the standup comics I listen to say that cell phone videos of police should be outlawed because, obviously, we never had any of these murder-by-cop problems before cell phone videos became common.
In fact, I *think* one of the states tried to outlaw civilian videos of police recently. Dunno how it came out - or even if I got it right in the first place.... but, either way, it sure sounds like SCOTUS material to me.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/15/2016 3:54 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

It's the INVISIBLE RAYS that the phones put out when the camera is on! They interfere with the thought processes of those folks being filmed. Cause them to act out-of-character.
Long term exposure has been known to cause CANCER, IMPOTENCE and even STERILITY, in some cases!

Yup. And, if it's OK for *me* to be filmed "in a public place", then surely someone that *I* am paying should be able to be filmed, as well! I mean, how do we know they aren't bad guys MASQUERADING as police officers? "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance..."
What are you trying to hide??

Why do they need a red light to stop? They should stop if there's an emergency vehicle coming the other way. The blue lights bounce of buildings and you can hear the siren half a mile away. Why would you enter an intersection when you can hear an emergency vehicle coming, which you know isn't behind you (as you've checked your mirrors)?
--
Sex without love is merely healthy exercise.

Per Mr Macaw:

If you are driving one of those things and counting on what you said to keep yourself alive and uninjured, I would strongly recommend re-visiting your assumptions.
If you have police friends on duty, they might cover your butt after the crash occurs, but you will still incur the injuries.
When I used to hang out at the local ambulance club, I always heard that the first rule of emergency response was not to create any additional emergencies.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/15/2016 11:12 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Actually, most people can NOT hear the approach of an emergency vehicle, let alone correctly identify WHERE it's coming from nor how far away it is. Witness the number of crashes that occur (in intersections) as folks THINK they have time to get across -- when, in fact, they don't.
There is actually a lot of research into making emergency vehicles "more noticeable" (when not directly visible). And, as cars have become more sound-proofed, cabins filled with "premium sound systems" and drivers distracted by Aunt Bessie on the phone, the problem gets worse instead of better!

Don't need any research to figure backup beeper alarms have little direction capability. Sine waves don't work. Square waves do work.
Greg

You don't need the direction, that's why they have flashing lights. Unless you're a pedestrian, you cannot tell the direction of any noise. You are inside an enclosed box.

Sounds good, but it seems to work here without that. People simply move to ether side, onto the pavement, etc and leave a gap.

I can hear the siren long before it ever gets to me, plenty of time to scan all the mirrors to find it, then plan a place to park.
--
He was so unlucky . . .
Last week, his inflatable doll ran off with his airbag.
On 15/03/2016 17:54, Mr Macaw wrote:

Or hide ;-)
--
Bod

Who me? Nah once the siren is on they're right behind me telling me to pull over. I have to hide before they do that.
--
Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?

Standing out in front of the hangar (between 2 rows) when Gerry is punching holes in the air out in the acrobatics box you'd SWEAR the plane was out beyond the hangar across the way - when it is half a mile the other way. The noise is blocked by the hangar behind and bounces off the hangar in front. Combination of that, the low tone of the exhaust, and the volume really screws up the "aural postioning" sense.

Yes I can for most sounds. Running a farm, I often have to determine which of my animals is making sounds. The direction often is important especially in the dark, and it sounds like one of them is having a problem. With the horses, I can usually know their voice and which one it is. They all make a different sound, and some make more sounds than others. I can usually determine the approximate location of wild animal sounds too.
Bit sirens and other very loud sounds are hard to locate. nd if I'm driving it's even harder because of the "shell" of the vehicle.
Yes small head movements allow you to tell the difference between front and back.

Agreed, but apparently some people can tell without moving their head at all. Which I find odd.
--
A DC-10 had come in a little hot and thus had an exceedingly long roll out after touching down.
San Jose Tower Noted: "American 751, make a hard right turn at the end of the runway, if you are able.
On 3/10/2016 4:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I often can't tell where sounds are coming from, in addition to, I have a hard time identifying some sounds because I've never heard them before.
--
Maggie