OT Camera tech support (not home repair)

This concerns my Canon G1-X
I rarely shoot video and that capability is not of major importance to me...but I did note that since it formats the memory card as Fat32 there is a 4 gig files size limit.
I did an experiment and pre-formatted the card as exFAT which has no 4 gig limit and the camera was able to use it just fine.
This morning I dashed off a email to Canon tech support mentioning that... and just a few minutes ago got a /real/ reply!
For them to respond in a non-robotic way on a weekend was quite impressive. I was told their Japan headquarters made the FAT32 decision and wanted to know more about my experience with exFAT and the camera.
philo wrote:

Hi, I believe you formatted the card off the camera on PC?
On 11/29/2014 06:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yes, Windows XP and up have the ability to format a drive as exFAT
I never used exFAT before but recently need to transfer a data file (via USB stick) over 4 gigs to a Windows machine , a Linux machine and also a Mac.
exFAT was recognized by all with no problems
philo wrote:

Hi, Canon may have to update firmwares so we can format on camera. I have a Canon Power Shot SX10.
On 11/29/2014 06:56 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

If Canon would take my suggestion and want to use exFAT, then yes, they would have to issue a firmware update to give their cameras such ability.
Just because I gave a major corporation a suggestion is hardly reason for me to think they will actually take it.
Their philosophy might simply be that any serious producer of videos should simply get a camera specifically designed to do so.