OT, but electronic

Page 1 of 3
I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first modem was 4800.
Today I couldn't connect at all. It said no modem. I turned it off*** and turned it back on. No good.
Turned it off from 90 minutes, and it worked again. Got to wonder what will happen tomorrow. :)
***I should have been turning it off when I turned off the computer. I could have plugged it into the UPS even, but after a few days I just started leaving it on, for months.
**because for some reason I couldn't get two internal modems to work, one that had been working the previous day on another mobo and one that was new.
I don't have another external modem and don't want to buy one when I have 3 internal modems. Maybe I can get one of them to work.
Try here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.modems/topics?lnk=sg&hl=en

mm wrote:

If you know about Hayes modem protocol, you can run tests. Google it. Does your PC sees the modem at least? Can you dial into it from yoyr cell phone, etc. to see what happens.

That took me back a few days :-)
I just remembered ATDT.
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

I remember acoustic modem you used to stick onto phone handset, LOL!

I'm not that old or experienced then, but this is funny!!
Gotta change the 5.25 floppy to run spell checker... 2MB RAM. Maybe those days were DOS 2 - 3.x.
How did you ever survive :-) ?
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

I was thrilled when I could finally afford a paper tape reader/punch.

The early stages of killing the Pony Express, heh!
-- Oren
CJT wrote:

Ah, yes, the days of the 3-pass paper-tape compiler...
I was thrilled when finally got a rotating drum and could get away from all mass storage being 7-track tape...

It was rough. And the fighting with the Indians.
Some of them had Winchesters with DOS 4.

IIRC, the Bell 212A standard (1200 BPS) was designed to not work well with acoustic couplers like 103J (300BPS) was.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

I guess you have removed and then installed the modem drivers again. Do the same with the COM ports in device manager and reboot.
Can you flash the modem EPROM? Check for a current flash software.
Check the phone line plug on the modem and ensure there is not a bunch of dust affecting the line connection at the wall and modem. If so, blow out with canned air.
Line noise can determine the quality of the connection speed for a modem.

Disable COM ports 2,3 and 4 until you get COM 1 working - my guess or check the BIOS to ensure the COM ports are enabled.
I take it you moved these modems from one machine to another.

Pull all but one, get it to work and then move to the next one.
Use the Hayes modem protocol to send commands to the modem, as mentioned by Tony. (send the command to turn the speaker on so you can get an idea of what is going on). You can do this in Hyper-Terminal under Accessories > Communication.
-- Oren

Not right. I have some information on modem standards and rates, copied from a computer magazine:
Bell 103J (US) - 300
Bell 212A (US) - 1200
ITU V.21 - 300
ITU V.22 - 1200
ITU V.22bis - 2400
ITU V.23 - 1200 / 75
ITU V.32 - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k
ITU V.32bis - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k 12k 14.4k
ITU V.32ter - 14.4k 16.8k 19.2k
ITU V.34 - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k 12k 14.4k 16.8k 19.2k 21.6k 24k 26.4k 28.8k
ITU V.34+ - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k 12k 14.4k 16.8k 19.2k 21.6k 24k 26.4k 28.8k 31.2k 33.6k
ITU V.90 down - 33.3k 37.3k 41.3k 42.7k 44k 45.3k 46.7k 48k 49.3k 50.7k 52k 53.3k 54.7k 56k 57.3k ITU V.90 up - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k 12k 14.4k 16.8k 19.2k 21.6k 24k 26.4k 28.8k 31.2k ITU V.92 down - (same as V.90 down) ITU V.92 up - 28k 29.3k 30.7k 32k 33.3k 34.7k 36k 37.3k 38.7k 40k 41.3k 42.7k 44k 45.3k 46.7k 48k
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing that happened.

I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals 1MB of RAM. You guys are old <G>.
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

I still have a 1K board, about 4" by 6" from my SWTP 6800.
For that matter, I think I've got a plane of core around here someplace.

I've got 8 flip-flops and the computer that used them which I built for the science fair in 1962......each flip flop was on a PCB card about 2 inches by 4 inches...
Smarty

Smarty wrote:

As I recall, my first flip-flop was based on a 6SN7.

A 6SN7 sounds like a good triode for making flip flops. Just would not want to wait for my computer to "warm up" before I could start computing...... (-:

tubes of loose chips we had been using- first 9 chips (for $30) to make a 64k bank, and then the leap to 9 chips making a 256k bank.
I used to keep a 'visual aids' drawer at work with samples of all the generations of memory chips, and of CPUs, to show to new kids coming in. One day, some self-appointed arbiter of stuff to keep (stuff she used) vs. junk (stuff she didn't recognize) pitched it all. Some people are only alive because killing them isn't worth doing time over....
aem sends....