OT, but about cars. Is this true?

Page 2 of 2

Every CC I have had (quite a few) all operated at 30 or less. Most at less. My current Ford 500 is annoying in that it will hold 30 but no below that.
I guess the OP must have a odd definition of "low speed"
Harry K

Every CC I have had (quite a few) all operated at 30 or less. Most at less. My current Ford 500 is annoying in that it will hold 30 but no below that.
===========
It's good that the Ford won't hold below 30. If you're going less than 30, one of the following is true:
1) Traffic. That means close quarters. Your vehicle should not be controlled by a computer.
2) Too old to drive. You should no longer own or drive a car.

From your replies in this thread I would guess you are a geezer or at least a 'nanny'. You apparently think that _your_ beliefs should be imposed on everybody and I'll bet given the tone of your posts, you would advocate 55 mph limits everyplace, 25 withing the incorporated limits of any town no matter what the road is like, school zone resdtrictions at 1 a.m. etc.
Just to inject a bit of reality into your life. I use CC in _light_ traffic so I can pay attention to what is going on around me vice having to keep checking the speedo. You might try it sometimes.
Harry K

From your replies in this thread I would guess you are a geezer or at least a 'nanny'. You apparently think that _your_ beliefs should be imposed on everybody and I'll bet given the tone of your posts, you would advocate 55 mph limits everyplace, 25 withing the incorporated limits of any town no matter what the road is like, school zone resdtrictions at 1 a.m. etc.
Just to inject a bit of reality into your life. I use CC in _light_ traffic so I can pay attention to what is going on around me vice having to keep checking the speedo. You might try it sometimes.
Harry K
================ I'm 54, and I'm a nanny to the exact same extent that you are.
And, you just told me you have trouble with multitasking. That's not a good disability for a driver to have.
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:05:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

And don't forget to SNIP long quotes, so the reader can see there's actual original material there. A bottom-posted reply after 100 lines of quoted text is a lot worse than top-posting (note that I'd prefer the bottom-post WITH SNIPPING).
I think I saw this on www.snopes.com
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I haven't read Snopes but from the quotes in this thread it appears it doesn't go far enough:
The truth about CC operation:
The system senses speed. It will have a detector of some sort on a rotating part where the rpm of the part equates to wheel speed and thus mph. Used to be a magnet on the drive shaft - don't know where it is now, or what is used.
The system will do all in its power to maintain that part at that set rpm.
Entering aquaplane all the system knows is that the part suddenly increased rpm and manipulates the throttle to slow it down to the set point, e.g., it will maintain that set rpm come hell or high water unless something turns it off or the car crashes.
Thus the car "cannot take off like an airplane". Okay, that is about the Snopes part.
Now. Why would anyone thing the car "takes off like...."
Simple. unless you are going downhill when it aquaplenes, the car will _slow_ by some amount but the wheels will still be going at the set speed. Car continues to slow a bit until traction is restored. Thus you have the car going one speed but the wheels something faster.
Now just what happens when traction suddenly reappears?
CC opens to speed the car back up to the set point. The acceleration can range from slight to WOT. Depending on how much the car slowed during the episode it can easily give the sensation of "taking off like....". Thus it won't "take off...." but you can get that sensation.
Harry K