OT Building new computer (DIY)

Page 5 of 6
On Jul 15, 4:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, I agree. Laptops are great if you make use of the fact that they are portable. If you don't value that ability, then a box system has advantages. Clearly there are tradeoffs in a number of areas that have to be made to get everything to fit into a small form factor. For the same $$, you generally wind up with a smaller screen, less CPU power, no system expansion capabilities, etc. The same is true of the Apple and similar computers where everything is in the display. If a component fails in a mini-tower sitting on the floor, I can fix it. If that same component fails in a laptop or the Apples, good luck figuring out how to get at it, fix it or where to get the part.

<snort> By the time something goes wrong, the computer is long past it's useful life span. I have currently 2 laptops that are over 5 years old. And they have been running 24/7 except for the times that I took them while travelling. They are currently running as servers All I did to them was max out the memory And since I installed Linux on them, I have only booted them once a year to make sure that there was no memory creep. The Windows I run on top of the Linux, gets re-booted once a month.
I wouldn't waste my time, money and desk space for a box PC if my life depended on it It's just not cost effective.

Yet you, like 2 other posters, run M$ Windows despite a history going back to pre DOS days. I find this extremely curious. One of the reasons I haven't run Windows in over 10 yrs is because it's a flakey, unreliable, intrusive piece of crap that's more of an hassle than a help. Regardless of my views, we have 3 old Unix hands running Windows. Jes outta curiosity, why?
nb

I've been running Win 7 for more than 2 years and none of what you say is true. None of it. Don't care what OS you use, but have no problem busting your myth-making.
--
Vic

+1 to that. How would he even know what Windows is or isn't today, since he says he hasn't run Windows in over 10 years? Kind of like some of the strange folks around that still stick with Win98 and insist that only it was stable.....
On 7/16/2012 8:44 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

If anything modern OSs have become much more stable and reliable.
I was being sarcastic about having never run Windows in 10 yrs. I have 2 XP boxes. One is hardly ever used at all (netbook), the other used soley for Netflix, they and M$ having made NF streaming unavailable to Linux as of yet. I still hafta reboot about every other day to get it to straighten up and fly right.

Agreed. Despite my Netflix/XP box having the rare freaky-deaky day, it's surprisingly robust, not succumbing to any really bad mojo or exploits, despite still being really crapped up with bloatware. OTOH, I don't use it for anything BUT Netflix. That means no browsing the mean streets or darker side of the web or reading email, etc. I would certainly hope Win7 is a step up. BTW, I notice how all you offended Windows users have managed to completely jump from the W98/XP era to Win7 as if Vista never existed. How does that work? ;)
nb

That isn't the OS-- maybe you should call the Geek squad.<g>
-snip-

It is easy-- I went from WFWG 3.11 to XP, to Win 7. Maybe Win 12 will look good to me-
Jim

ummm.... yeah, it is. When you gotta reboot the box cuz rebooting the program don't cut it, it's the OS. Besides, I AM the geek squad. ;)
nb

A PROPER cleanup of the system files/registry, and removal of the crapware you don't need, tames them right down.

Did you put the SP3 upgrade on and have you let MS do the updates? It really will help.

I upgraded to SP3, but no other updates other than Silverlight. Actually hadda downgrade a step on FF and SL. It's stable enough, now. If I could find the original install disc, I'd do a wipe and start over, but my alzheimer mom lost it and it's her computer. One day, I may dig out a virgin copy of XP I have and install it.
I'm sure Windows has improved since win2k, but I still read about it imposing control over the user. This new secure boot (UEFI) crap in Win8 is jes more of the same game. Screw that. My linux box does EXACTLY what I WANT it to, no more, no less. It's mine. Hands off, M$! Hell, Apple is even worse.
nb
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 05:44:06 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I think gfretwell still uses '98 for something. That's where you can run into driver issues. But if it works, so what. Win 7 is the most trouble free Win I've run. Puts XP to shame.
--
Vic

I happy for that. Nice to know. Did EVERYTHING work w/o having to connect to the mother ship?
nb

Has so far on the first 12. I did need to downgrade from 64 bit to 32 bit so we could continue using the fi4120 scanners - and had fun finding the correct vista 32 bit driver to give the functionality we needed.
Other than that, great. Six have been running for several months now - got 10 more last week. Six of them up and running.
On 7/16/2012 8:58 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

One of my notebooks came with XP and was "vista ready". So I had a pretty good idea how it performed. Maybe a year ago I installed Win7 on it and it ran better than XP did on the same exact hardware.

And XP blew vista away- - - -
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 07:58:47 -0500, Vic Smith

My MP3 players run DOS and the one in the tiki bar is running in the W/98 DOS box, just because I want the network capability.
There is an application for XP that lets you run real DOS but it is a little clunky.
I also run W/98 on my server for the scanner, fax, printer and weather station. It runs on an old Thinkpad, just because it only takes a few watts to go. That may get replaced by a WYSE thin client but it will still be W/98 or XP.
On 7/16/2012 8:33 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

Same here. I have Win7 on this computer and on my notebook and it is stable and runs fine. I do remember the windows 3.1 he is focused on but 10 years ago isn't today.

Please show where I once mentioned Windows 3.1 or even remotely referred to it. You can't, cuz it never occured.
Amazing how Windows user twist reality to fit their own agenda.
nb