OT Building new computer (DIY)

Page 2 of 6
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:00:42 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Right. Unless you have "special needs" like gaming, fooling around with the hardware, etc, the cost curve went against building you own at least 10 years ago. I still do it, because I'm particular about that, and game and tinker. It's not cheap, because you pay retail for components. High end parts cost. Going with used eBay parts can make it work, but that has its own traps. You have to know the real values. Then, as you say, you'll be obligated to support it. Reminds me of what somebody on a another newsgroup years ago. Paraphrasing: "Why would somebody spend years writing a novel when you can pick one up at a bookstore for a few bucks."
--
Vic

My old new thing was to buy an OEM package, wipe the HDD and install an OEM version of Windows. Even with the extra $100 I feel I'm ahead, short and long term. If I should decide I want a load of useless crap on my machines I can always find it all over the 'net.
My newer thing is to buy an extra HDD and install the OEM Windows on that, -----
- gpsman
4ax.com:

You probably bought a boxed unit from a chain store.
Get one of those independent hole-in-the-wall places to build one for you. That way you get total control over hardware choice, partitioning, and software installs. Plus the builder then takes care of the burn-in and the warranty, and he'll be up on all the new hardware in a way you and I are not. Tiger Direct will also build-to-order, and they're probably better than the hole-in-the-wall places on account of their sales volume.
I gave up rolling my own years ago. It just wasn't worth it any more.
--
Tegger

I've not built my own, but we have a guy we use for our computers for work and he has built mine for a number of years now. Yes, the big difference is all the crap that comes with the typical store bought system. Only thing worse is the Gook Squad that fine tunes them to the point they hardly run at all.

The main advantage of buying a name brand PC is you can usually get a driver disk that has drivers that will work together. Otherwise you are on a scavenger hunt looking for all the drivers you need and about half the time there will be one that won't play nice with another one. I am always one generation off he bleeding edge and I buy off lease commercial machines pretty cheap.
I always load them from a formatted disk.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If a component needs software it comes with what you need.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 7/15/2012 9:32 AM, dadiOH wrote:

always groveling to Dell, or Compaq for information. Every component you buy, has all the information you need to make it work

The problem you have with drivers is when you are not sure what hardware you actually have. I have a whole cabinet full of boards cards and drives. When I am putting a machine together from my parts cache I often find a card that drivers are a mystery item. The old "free" driver sites have become malware factories, always trying to get you to load crap you don't want. Manufacturers are dropping support on products very early in the life cycle.
The chinks (Lenova) have really screwed up the IBM PC site.
I just "upgraded to a more familiar version" (W7 to XP Pro) on my, new to me, X61 tablet and getting all the drivers was a nightmare. I still have one yellow box on my device manager that I can't resolve.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Have you tried Raxco's PerfectUpdater? I believe they have a trial version. I suckered into subscribing to it ... It's been almost a year and all updates were done without problems other than rebooting. ASUS X53E laptop w/ Win7Pro
--
Best regards
Han

Interesting. Lenovo's ThinkVantage updater is OK but it doesn't want to deal with my WiFi drivers. There are newer drivers available but the installation process looks to be a mess. I'd really like to be able to log into a WPA-2 network (like my phone - I'd rather not go naked).
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:39:12 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Thinkvantage cleared 3 of the 4 mystery yellow boxes I had. One just will not go away. None of those drivers TV fixed were on the X61 driver page. Lenova has really screwed the pooch on this one. I was able to get all the drivers in one click on the old IBM.COM site for all of the Netvistas and Aptivas I had, simply by putting in the type and model.
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:35:52 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

machine. Upgrades, or downgrades from Vista to XP, can be a BITCH.(particularly if the model in question was never shipped with XP)
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:21:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Mine won't update the WiFi stuff and I agree with gfretwell, Lenovo has gone way downhill. I don't know what's better, though. I haven't been impressed with any I've seen lately.

I often read the chip numbers on the board then search for the manufacturer and have found drivers that way. I would recommend software like Speccy witch will give you info down to a chip's part number and serial number. ^_^
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
TDD
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 19:11:34 -0500, The Daring Dufas

After that has been figured out, getting the driver is only "slightly" painful.
On 7/16/2012 3:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But it's fun to me, I like a challenge unless a customer is breathing down my neck. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:21:27 -0500, The Daring Dufas

too dumb to know when I'm licked"
On 7/16/2012 7:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If it's my own on my own time, I tend to view it as entertainment but when the clock is ticking for someone else, I must decide if it's economical to repair. I've had to point out to a number of folks over the years that the most expensive and valuable item in/on their computer is "The Data/Information". I used to preach "Backup your data and put the tape in the fire resistant safe." but with the advent of cheap web based backup that can be automated there is no excuse for any business to ever lose data. I run service as an independent contractor for a few nationwide service organizations where they will ship overnight loaded hard drives to replace those in retail store computer systems and of course I've repeatedly asked them about preventative maintenance to clean the dust wildlife out of the computers on a regular basis but for some odd reason they don't want to do anything until it breaks. O_o
TDD
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:12:22 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

that did NOT work were much more numerous than those that did.
The research that goes into assembling a properly configured computer can be quite extensive. I have just about finished instaling 50 off-lease Lenovo Think Stations to replace old terminals and PCs at a small industrial concern where I spend 2 afternoons a week - excellent fit for the job at extremely good pricing - and as noted, no searching for "orphan" drivers.
With QC in the tank like it is with so many Chinese manufacturere, assembling a system from parts can be a lot of "fun". When it doesn't work, which part is causing the problem? Is it defective or just incompatible? Without having at least 3 of everything on hand you cannot troubleshoot by substitution with any confidence.

Not to mention that for $400, you can get a decent laptop with a built-in emergency power supply.