OT Blood pressure

Page 3 of 4

I have AARP UHC and I get my physical from my PCP for the co pay. ($15 on my plan) The house call is not really a physical. They send a nurse/tech sort of person to do a few rudimentary things. There is no real lab work and it is not a doctor's opinion. They guessed wrong on a couple of things the last time they sent someone here.

All I can say is Medicare seems to work very very well.
Truth is I don't really care about small doctor bills , it's the big ones.
My recent colonoscopy was $5000 by my part of the bill will not exceed $180.
The office thought the $180 was a bit high and they told me they see if there was a way to lower it...but truth is I'm fine with that.
On 10/14/2016 07:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thank you so much, one practically has to be a lawyer to wade through all this
On 10/14/2016 03:32 PM, philo wrote:

Check into it but most plans provide for an annual 'wellness' visit. In fact iirc I got email fro the AARP plan telling me I was due.
On 10/14/2016 09:53 PM, rbowman wrote:

yep...must have been the way I worded it

Cut down on your sugar intake. I use splenda instead as it is made from regular sugar but is ignored by the body. And cut back on white bread too.
On 10/14/2016 07:40 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

Fortunately I do not have a high sugar intake.
Years ago I switched to no-sugar peanut butter and it tasted funny at first but now I love it. I did try the sugared variety again and found it horrible.
Most things that I used to put sugar on or in I find taste better without it
Per Frank:

Lady I used to work with had both knees replaced.
One got infected.
They had to cut it apart, remove the prosthesis, and stuff it with antibiotics.
She spent something like 5 months laying on the couch with her leg in two pieces.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 10/16/2016 11:01 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

That was my worst nightmare.

I currently take one/half 50 mg Tenormin a day. No side effects I notice. Been taking it for decades.
On 10/14/2016 01:20 PM, KenK wrote:

Glad that's working I am very much looking forward to my appt. next week
On 10/14/2016 12:36 PM, philo wrote:

Many people will swear by their meds which is fine if it works for them but I will never consume them unless it's dire. IMO, meds cause more problems and remedies are within our diet and exercise. When my doctor told me my triglycerides were too high, he asked me if I wanted a prescription to lower it. I told him no, I'll do it on my own. My next visit it was back to normal range.
I'm a strong believer in eating healthy and staying fit. It's worked thus far.
On 10/14/2016 01:52 PM, Meanie wrote:

I totally agree but I had to admit to myself that I now have a problem that requires a doctor's attention.
Were it up to my wife, she'd want to pay more attention to my "bad joke" syndrome.
philo posted for all of us...

Me too. I won't bore you with details as your case will be different. Watch out for side effects such as lethargy, dizziness when standing up, sleepiness. The doc should do a round of blood tests as it can be treated several ways. It is good to be aware and treated as can affect the very vital parts of your body. I would pass on the leech's.
--
Tekkie

On 10/14/2016 03:11 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Thanks.
On 10/14/2016 11:36 AM, philo wrote:

Most doctors today love to prescribe blood pressure and cholesterol lowering pills because they get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies....but they may not do you any good.
Check out the health website of a former/retired NASA astronaut and physician.
https://www.spacedoc.com/articles/treating-high-blood-pressure-any-good
If you are actually concerned about your health (most people just want to eat junk food and take pills), start here:
www.drperlmutter.com
On 10/14/2016 04:55 PM, Bud wrote:

Yep and I am not going to take the cholesterol stuff. They say that it may lower your numbers but it will not increase your life expectancy.
That said I have to do something about my blood pressure. Other than the chips...my wife and I do not have much junk food though.

thanks
On 10/14/2016 5:13 PM, philo wrote:
Age 68 and I've had high blood pressure for years now, I guess I've got stage 3 kidney disease, from what the last lab test indicated. The doc never called so I guess it's not important yet. Stable angina and carry the little nitroglycerin pills and they work just fine. No stents if I can avoid that. The blood pressure problem seems to be easily controlled with a couple of meds. I use the Walmart pharmacy the 4 bucks a month thing but last time it was like 12 dollars for three months worth of both scripts. Insurance paid part of the cost. That damn tenuous shot, I got hung on that ... had to pay the whole thing out of pocket. Everyone says ... but it's preventive... yeah prevents the doctor's wife from having to drive a year old car. What else? I ride a bicycle about 30 miles a week and my dog and I walk a mile most every day. When the angina hit I dieted and Lost weight and now I get around better than I did 5 years now. 29 grams of fiber/day, so said the "up urs" doc... that's a lot fiber! Well it is for us Americans. Glucosamine for the knees, a baby aspirin a day. Whole grain stuff, oatmeal, bran flakes, veggies, sawdust whatever it takes. Thus far blood sugar hasn't been a problem, and still a full head of hair. I made it 10 years longer than my dad did, that was one of the things on my bucket list. If there is an after life I'll rub it in when or if I see him again.
On 10/14/2016 06:43 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

I got rid of my bicycle but thankfully had still walk at least.
One big thing was entirely stopping the consumption of all cereal with the exception of oatmeal...
On 10/14/2016 10:36 AM, philo wrote:

Lisinopril.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisinopril
One tablet a day keeps me down in the 120 range. It runs about $12 for a 90 day supply and I haven't seen any of the potential side effects.
There are three major families and lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor. Some people wind up taking a mixture if one doesn't work. Each has their drawbacks. For example, calcium channel blockers lower your heart rate. Since my resting heart rate is around 55 my doctor ruled that out. Some can be expensive and require close monitoring. Fortunately the patent on lisinopril ran out in 2002 iirc so there are many generic sources.