Order of Kitchen Installation?

The countertop person says the countertop should be installed before the backsplash, the backspash person says the backsplash should be installed before the countertop so that the countertop isn't damaged during installation of the backsplash. Any opinions appreciated. Pat
Either will work. Personally, I would get the countertop installed first since it is much easier to adjust a backsplash to fit the already installed countertop. Just make sure the countertop is well protected when installing the backsplash (you can use thick cardboard).
I had the same problem with my hardwood and tile installation. Both installers wanted to install first, and both had good arguments. I ended up getting the hardwood installed first because it was more convenient for me. I did protect the floor very well however before the tile installation (these tile guys were messy!).

before
the
id say counter first so backsplash can be made even,
As others have said, either should work. However, when I did my kitchen, I did a tiled countertop and continued the tile right up the wall. We like the look without a backsplash. Actually, what is a backsplash for? It collects dust. Now, using a plastic laminate countertop would be difficult to it to fit tight against the wall; enter the backsplash ... a unit made to cover up uneven walls, etc.
Patscga wrote:

before
the
they each want their job to be made easier. the first guy in almost always has an easier time.
Always backsplash first!

Negative it depends on the materials being used for the countertop and backsplash. a little more info on the materials being used by the OP would help.
Most of the guys that install my counters for me want the backsplash on first to go behind the counter. They state that if you butt the backsplash whether it be granite tile or formica to the counter, when settling occurs you get a crack at the joint that is unsightly to look at.
On 23 Oct 2003 10:42:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randd01) wrote:

What that also does is produces a crack [if/when one occurs] that is only visible from above.
A backsplash resting on the countertop produces a crack - right at eye-level- that can be seen from anywhere in the room.
In my house I'd go with backsplash first-- and if the countertop guy can't work with that find one who will.
Jim
Hi, To me logic says bottom up not top down regardless of material. Tony
Genemy wrote:

before
the
What type of materials are you talking about for countertop and backsplash?
Cambria for countertop, porcelain tiles for backsplash.

Pat

backsplash?
Install countertops first. if it were stainless steel or laminate, then I would install the backsplash first. but tiles? Install countertops first. use silicone caulking or grout caulking that matches the grout color.
To all the other lurkers? anyone who installs backsplash first with any stone is an idiot! and obviously has not much experience.