opening the hood without a sledge hammer

Page 3 of 3
On 10/3/14, 9:54 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I was born senile. When I couldn't find something, my mother would tell me to retrace my steps.
Last year, I helped a neighbor mount solar-powered lights along a fence. Last week, she phoned. She wants to put up more. She wanted to know how many brackets and screws were left over.
I told her I remembered the lights but had no memory of brackets or screws. She asked if I remembered where I'd put them. When she described the brackets, I vaguely remembered them, but I couldn't remember who had put them away.
I went to her garage and saw the case with the drill I'd used. Near it, I saw a rolling tool chest about 4 feet tall. I remembered a certain drawer. I opened it and found the pack of brackets and the pack of screws.
I'm like Hansel and Gretel. I need a trail of bread crumbs to find my way home. I was stumped, standing in front of the hood of my car. I was like the kid who knows all the answers in class but draws a blank on the test. Because I took a walk, coming back and wanting to open the hood was retracing my steps. Everything fell into place.
I don't remember what the latch release looks like because it has been a long time since I bent over to look; I just know where it is and reach. If I bent over to look, I'm sure I'd remember the sight very well.