one way glass tinting question

I have a problem at the office. Door to door sales. I've posted signs all over the door to discourage them, but they think the signs don't apply to them. I've had a couple of indidents where they've refused to leave until I pick up the phone to call the police.

I've started locking the door, but now they sit outside and bang on the door and I have an employee just inside who is being made very uncomfortable. I'd like to still be able to see out the windows while making it difficult for the people outside to see in. Obviously we always have lights on here, but this also only happens during daylight hours.

I hate the thought of giving up advertising space on the door (we only have one window and that's in the break room) but we can live with that.

Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
RobR

Simple solution, give the uncomfortable employee a camera (with flash) and have them take the picture of each violator of the no soliciting sign. Add verbiage to the sign that violators will be reported to the police and follow through by sending copies of the pictures to the police. When the same face appears a few times you should be able to get some action taken.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

CCTV camera and recorder.

Reply to
Chub

Reply to
Phil Munro

We have a camera, but there's no state law that I've been able to find that says they have to heed the NO SOLICITING signs. I even have one sign that makes it VERY CLEAR we hate solicitors (though I tried to be humorous about it). I always ask them, did you read the signs on the door? and they always say Yes.

I don't think I've been visited by the same company more than once, but this happens 2-3 times a week regardless.

Several other tenants that have businesses here have said they've had no luck getting the police or the town involved and they've also resorted to locking their doors, but they don't have the problem that I do with having an employee on the other side of the door.

Reply to
RobR

what state?

Reply to
Chub

We do software development, so no, we will NEVER have a customer come in. Typically we just get lots of take-out food deliveries and UPS, Fedex and Staples.

It's a strip of condos all with businesses that vary from lasers, to printing, to art supply retailer, glass replacement, sign making... so it's a mix of retailers and commercial

Blacking out the door and window is OK and long as it doesn't block off natural light (working under fluroescents only is bad) and I'd like to be able to look out the door and see if it's the UPS guy or unwelcome company.

Reply to
RobR

Newburyport, MA

Reply to
RobR

Mount an electric air horn outside over the door pointing downward and wire it to a button at your desk. Use it as needed. If that doesn't work, switch to water balloons.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Well, with crows, the solution would be to shoot one of them and leave the body out where the others could see it.

Dunno about door-to-door salesmen, though.

Reply to
Goedjn

Great ideas, I'd love to implement them, as well as a button that releases tigers, shoots lightning bolts, and opens up the punji trap in the sidewalk outside. Alas, one call to the police from these clowns I'm sure will have me either removing the device or hiring an attorney.

Reply to
RobR

Have someone else call the police so the idiot doesn't know that they're coming.

When they do arrive, make a big fuss about how he refused to leave and that he was even threatening!

Reply to
Noozer

If the police won't respond when you call, why would you think the police would come for them?

I think you might benefit from some assertiveness training. Honest.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Equip said employee with a shakespearean insult generator, and authorise him/her/it to be as offensive and/or abusive as it can manage when repelling solicitors.

Reply to
Goedjn

The police have said they won't respond unless the sales people refuse to leave. We've been told they are breaking no laws by soliciting. On the other hand, if I assult them, now I've broken a law (and there's always the possibilty some DA might consider an airhorn to be an assault).

There is NO problem with assertiveness here. The newest sign is quite assertive and I've resorted to screaming GTFO of my business when required (and on bad days when I feel like yelling at someone who feels my signs don't apply to them). At this point though it's difficult to be assertive through a locked door when they are standing outside it annoying an employee. I should not have to deal with disruptions to my business because of these people.

We've gotten way off topic here though. I'm looking for suggestions on one-way tinting during daylight hours.... unless you know of some MA law I can invoke that actually would have consequences for people ignoring my signs.

Reply to
RobR

That's an interesting idea, however unless door to door salesmen are like ants and go back to their salesman hangout with salesmen from other companies, word wont spread and I'd have to do this several times a week.

Reply to
RobR

Post it "No trespassing" and then have them arrested for criminal trespass if they ignore the sign.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Throw their skanky asses in jail:

Massachusetts General Laws:

Chapter 266, Section 120: Entry Upon Private Property After Being Forbidden As Trespass. "Whoever, without right enters or remains in or upon the dwelling house, buildings, boats or improved or enclosed land, wharf, or pier of another, or enters or remains in a school bus, as defined in section 1 of chapter 90, after having been forbidden so to do by the person who has lawful control of said premises, whether directly or by notice posted thereon ... shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than thirty days or both such fine and imprisonment. "

Reply to
HeyBub

Nice find. I'm adding that to my door, thank you! I also just called the police again who had me modify my signage somewhat. Thank you, hopefully this will be a bit more of a deterrent.

Reply to
RobR

You can have the glass tinted with a mirror/reflective type tint and ppl will not be able to see in as long as the lights inside aren't brighter than the natural light is outside.

At night, it will work just the opposite, you will not be able to see out as long as the lights are on the the office space.

Reply to
Ron