One more about a pool - changing the pool filtering method

Ok, last one about a pool (no promises though!) Since we are draining the pool to change the water, we are also thinking about replacing our filter at the same time.

We are looking at alternatives to chlorine, but there are so many out there that it is mind boggling. Ionization, Oxidization, UV, Magnetic, Hawaiian Sand, etc.

Can anyone give me their recommendations?

Also, if I refill the pool, then decide to change after we have been using chlorine for a while, will I have to drain and refill again?

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

Reply to
The Chairman

I have had sand filters and diatomatous earth. There are some paper filters out there but I have not had any experience with them. Sand is easy but will not filter out urine. Earth filters are more to deal with but they will filter out urine. As for not using chlorine your going to spend a fortune for what ever you use depending on the size of the pool. The only reason spas do not use chlorine is there is so little water. Magnetic does not work period. Think about how fast the water moves and where does the dirty stuff go? If it is not removed it has not done anything. Same with UV. UV is used a lot in water production plants in conjunction with other filtering methods. Last UV setup I worked on was 3 megawatts. Hawaiian Sand that is a good one. Like it makes a difference where the sand comes from. Stay away from the salt to chlorine generators, they produce an caustic acid that is classified as hazardous material. I had a friend put one in got caught pouring it down the sewer and was notified by his city to remove the unit or face a fine and/or jail time. Got his attention in a heart beat. The store allowed a return as they were in the same city. Good luck with your decision

Reply to
SQLit