One cable for internet and TV

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

NTSC takes 6 MHz per channel. Digital takes 6 MHz per channel, more if you want 1080p or higher resolution. They're pushing digital because the set sellers want us to throw away all our existing televisions and buy new ones.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
clifto wrote:

analog NTSC takes 6 MHz for one analog program
digital cable TV is divided into 6 MHz channels but each 6 MHz channel can carry 10 or more standard def programs or 2 high def programs on cable..
downstream cable modem signals are the same as digital cable TV signals
Mark

The local CBS station (analog on channel 19) here has digital on 19.1, and UPN on 19.2 (the digital is actually ch18, but they call it 19).

And upstream uses a smaller band, normally below the frequencies used for channel 2.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark wrote:

They haven't got enough programming material to run a single program all day as it is.
They'd never be able to do digital if they didn't force everyone to buy new stuff. If it were optional, few would adopt it, especially at today's prices.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.

be old Matlock reruns. We will be buying shows ala carte, The faster you want it the more it costs. Some stull will still stream "free" for the channel flippers but it will be where all the ads are. Cable companies will just be bandwidth providers. Networks will just be content producers like HBO. "Broadcast" will become AM radio.
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:53:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The cable internet I have uses channel 99 (frequency somewhere between 6 and 7) for downstream and T-14 (frequency less than channel 2) for upstream.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On 8 Apr 2006 12:12:55 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Here (in east Texas) I have cable TV (not digital) and cable internet. The first thing the cable connects to when it enters the house is a 1:2 splitter, with one side connected directly to the cable modem.