On gas water heaters

Page 2 of 2

What I do every time I will be away for more than one night is turn the water off at the main and turn the water heater to the pilot setting. For a 50 gallon heater I have about an hours recovery time when I come home.
--
Colbyt

The "kid" should just get a long lighter and learn how to re-light the W/H.
Until those "long lighters" became a dollar $tore item, I had acually gone so far as to use a LPG torch to light a W/H. But those dollar $tore lighters are so cheap that you can just keep one permanent next to any gas appliance with a standing pilot.
Using a match was definitely a PITA.
If you worry about losing it, just take a long piece of string and tie it to the W/H.
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:23:58 -0500, "John Gilmer"

match is sure simpler - and they don't go bad from absorbing moisture.