Old Telephone Question

Page 2 of 3
On 3/20/2011 6:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

And, not particularly germane to the actual question, but before rotary there were hand cranks to alert the operator who you then told who to connect you to -- an early memory in elementary school of being embarrassed that had to ask how to use a dial phone in school office to call mother that was sick and needed to be picked up early--I didn't know we had a _number_ that folks in town dialed, we had a "ring" and you told the operator... :)
(Was late 50s before the phone company ran lines out of town and connected us to dialup; prior to that we ran and maintained the lines w/ neighbors ourselves and connected at the edge of town...)
-snip-

It was the early 70's when I was part of the telephone company that brought Summit, NY to the dial age. [and there were plenty of folks who didn't appreciate it]
It had been a 2 person operation before that. Joe owned and operated it-- his wife ran the switchboard. There were 20-some party lines that were run on old barbed wire fences in places. [try that with your modern telephones!]
Joe had a barn full of those old oak crank phones. A few of his customers already had the 'receiver' phones & they would flash for the operator to pick up. Joe bought them used so some even had dials & folks could actually dial '0' with results.<g>
Jim
On 3/20/2011 10:02 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I remember the old party lines where you'd pick up the phone and someone else was using it and you had to hang up and wait til it was free. Also in those days, we only had one radio for the whole house. Went to the movies once a week to see shows and newsreels. How did we ever survive? I'm sitting here in den with 2 computers, a cable TV, telephone land line, cell phone, radio and three atomic clocks and they're just mine - wife has her own setup in other rooms ;)
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:11:47 -0400, Frank

When we left that small city in Pa. we moved to the north suburbs of Indianapolis. When my mother called for a telephone, she was advised to get a party line and that there would be no one else on it (but it was cheaper). And that was the case for the next 7 years. When another party showed up, she signed up for a private line.

My father was a dentist. We had a table radio in the kitchen and a floor radio in the living room. I remember the day about 1954 that they deliverd the tv and took the radio up to the attic. Before then my brother and I, or maybe just my brother, would go to a neighbor just to see what tv was like.

Doesn't seem right.
On 3/20/2011 2:11 PM, mm wrote:

My uncle down the street had first TV in the family. Think the screen was either 6 or 9 inches, completely round. When Milton Berle was on, his living room would be full of relatives and friends.
On Mar 21, 8:03am, "Stormin Mormon"

To this day the firefighters of the City of New York still use K at the end of radio transmissions just as their great grandfathers did at the end of telegraph transmissions. "Start the water K" -- Tom Horne
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:03:34 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Who gives a shit !!!! Who cares what texters do, this is usenet. Texting is stupid anyhow !!!!
On 3/21/2011 11:49 AM, Al Capone II wrote:

On 3/21/2011 10:13 AM Tony Miklos spake thus:

foad
(Not you, the person you were replying to)
--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's because they can't spell, not some shorthand.

LOL!....
nb

My kids "compete" to see who has more text messages per month. Typically 2500-3000 per month. Luckily we have an unlimited plan :)
On 3/20/2011 9:02 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've heard stories like that from the E TN/SE VA area, too... :)
There wasn't ever anything much like that out here on the High Plains; it was either a local co-op or just informal groupings of neighbors like ours depending on just how far from civilization the area was. We were relatively close to town so wasn't terribly difficult to string the 30-40 miles of line for a bunch of farmers. Farther away from towns where it actually req'd them to have their own switchboards and so on was much more difficult (and revenue-requiring) project so there were several local telco's started or formal co-op's but none I'm aware of that were just one- or two-man shows as the service areas are comparatively much larger as the population density is so much lower than back east (even central/eastern KS/OK/NE, etc., are a whole different world than W KS/OK-TX panhandles/E CO).

Not about phones but electricity. From '57 to '64 or most of that, lots of tv commercials for REMC. Sung: "Who turned on the lights in the country, for a better life to be? Yes REMC brought the lights for a better life to be." Rural Electfication something.
On 3/20/2011 1:14 PM, mm wrote: ...

No clue about the M; perhaps it was a local or area co-op (Minnesota or somesuch area, perhaps?).
REC generally is used for Rural Electric Cooperatives, begun in '35/'36 by FDR. The REA (Rural Electrification Administration) was formally created by legislation in '36 and served as a source of low-cost loans to local co-ops.
It was reorganized and folded under USDA in the early 90's and the current organization is the RUS (Rural Utilities Service).
<http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rbs/pub/may10/out.htm
Folks began collecting potential member signatures for formation of our local co-op after VE day and the organizational meeting was held and the co-op formally organized within a month of VJ day. First lights went on in about 18 months from that point; it was mid '48 before the lines reached us at the then farthest west reaches of the service area.
Dad was founding board member and served for 50 years continuously.

Rural Electric MEMBERSHIP Cooperatives.
On 3/20/2011 4:04 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

_Never_ heard that perversion before...
Hmmmm....seems according to google to be concentrated in the SE and more upper midwest than out this here way...oh, there's one in W NE but that's "way up north" for us... :)
But, does seem probably the jingle, indeed.
Out here they're generally just named as Such-and-such Electric Co-op, Inc.
This is us'ens...
<http://www.cmselectric.com/

Interesting. Growing up in the wilds of Indiana, never heard otherwise. Regionalism, I guess.

Kurt and everyone, When *did* they turn on the lights in the country (as opposed to using windmills, dynamos, batteries, and battery operated lights and radios**). The commercials were run in the 50's and 60's, but they used the past tense and never said how much ealier.
**Many, most, or almost all radios were AC/DC

Yes, that's it! And of course ftr they didnt' say Remc, but Are Eee Em Cee. There were more lines to the jingle but I don't remember them anymore.

But you don't say where you are.

Well, these were meant for all of central Indiana

On 3/20/2011 8:37 PM, mm wrote: ...

I posted a link to the USDA RUS web site that has a nice history and wrote that the initial REA was part of the New Deal w/ founding legislation signed in 1936. Things progressed pretty rapidly after a source of loans was available. I think the first REC connections were made in '37 or '38.

Did, too.... :)

follow the link and you'll be within 40 mi or so of the house... :)