Old Brick Wall to Paint White

Hi Folks
I've got an old west-facing large red-brick wall that no-one sees. I want to paint it bright white to reflect heat in Summer. What is the cheapest to use on this? I slapped some ultra cheap ceiling white (PVA I think) on an old red tile sloping lean-too just as a temporary sun shield thinking it would wash off in the first Winter rains. It is still the same six years later :)
Moosh:)
snipped-for-privacy@less.ever wrote:

Don't. Paint. Brick.
It's irreversible.

Buy some white plastic panels and screw them into the mortar joints if you must have the wall be white.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Ask me about joining the NRA.

I agree, don't paint your brick work.. Once painted you will always have to paint it..
Low maintenance and appearance has always been the biggest advantage of brick..
Most methods of removing paint from brick damage the glaze surface or the mortor.
Steve

I agree, but acrylics (and other things) will last for 10- 15 years, I believe. That will likely see me out.

Well yes, but when the Westerly Sun beats down on a dark red brick wall when the temperature is 105 outside.....

Agree, but I do this on the understanding that it will be irreversible.
What I was trying to find out was the pros and cons of different paints. Acrylic, PVA, matt, gloss and so on. I've found cheap fence paint lasts forever on large polythene planter pots. Perhaps that might be the way to go.
Moosh:)
On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:39:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@westnet.poe.com posted:

Yep, I understand this. I'm 60, and when I leave here in a wooden overcoat, this pile will be a shoe-in for the demolition and block of units (condominiums) treatment. I just want to save airconditioning energy while I'm here.

Good suggestion, but far too expensive and difficult, and the next storm would likely rip them all off and dump them in the next suburb.
Moosh:)

Buy some cheap exterior paint and dilute it 1 gallon of water to 5. Spray or roll. Let dry a couple of days then get the good exterior paint out and cover. Block and brick are porous and will take in the paint when diluted. You can look for block fill but I bet you will find like I did that the paint is cheaper. Besides your not doing block like I did. A heavy duty power washer MIGHT get most of this off. Be sure you really want to do this before doing it. Check out the Thermal Coat paint at the home store for roofing. mostly advertised for mobile homes. I painted my evap cooler several years ago with it. Not exactly bright white now but you can still put your hand on the metal in full sun with out burning your skin. Pricey but it works
posted:

Thanks for that. As I said in another post, I find cheap fence paint lasts well. Perhaps a white version of this might be worth a try. If it only lasts a few years, I can always slap something ontop to refresh and bind.
Moosh:)