Oil leaking from air filter chamber on lawn mower

I have a newer model Toro push-mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine that has generally been working great. A month or so ago, I somehow overfilled the oil, and the next time I started it, the oil seeped out of the air filter area and onto the top of the deck. It was a mess.
Now it has happened again, but I don't think it was overfilled this time. The engine itself seems to be running fine. Does anyone know what might be going on here? Have I unwittingly caused some damage?
Dave
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 19, 7:18 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Is it overfilled or not check that first
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Are you really sorta thinking about this ? It's hard to kill B&S motors but you may be on the way :-)
Regards ........... Rheilly P
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 05:18:18 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This can happen if the gas is leaking past the carb when it is stored. This gets into the oil, raises the level and dilutes it. It blows out all over the place
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Or when it's running if the float is stuck and pouring raw gas into the crankcase as well.
To OP --
First, as somebody else said, check the oil level w/ the dipstick if provided or at the fill hole if it's the type that fills to it--however is correct way, check the level.
Second, if it's over full and you didn't do that, it's almost certain the above problem. If so, the oil will be obviously thin owing to the excess gasoline.
Solution if so is to clean the carb and make sure there's no sediment/dirt in the float valve keeping it from closing.
✖

If you tip the mower the wrong way, it will do this.
Add pictures here
✖