Odd Neighbors

The house next to mine is empty. The owner died, and the son's supposedly been fixing it up for almost 2 years, getting it ready to sell. When I first moved in, he introduced himself along with a good looking lady he called "his friend", who's there all the time with him, fixing up the house. A month later, he introduced his wife. Smart guy. You think he would've done a bit of prep work with me before introducing the wife. Reminds me of someone I knew years ago who was having an affair. He'd take his goomar out to all sorts of nice restaurants & hotels. He "forgot" that his wife was in charge of paying all the bills, and that all the dinners & hotels were on his American Express card. Duh. :-)

Lately, the neighbor's got a new hobby. He stops by 3 times a week to mow the lawn. Half the property is in deep shade, in a spot that most experienced homeowners would recognize as one which needed to have two thirds of the trees taken down. A dozen pine trees growing 8 feet apart, like in an unmanaged forest. There are 3 blades of grass in a 75 x 100 foot area, along with lots of smallish rocks & tree roots that stick up from the hard-as-cement soil. He's got the deck of the riding mower set so low that it seems to be actual contact with the ground. It raises so much dust that the guy and his mower are completely invisible at times. The sound of rocks crashing around inside the deck offer a clue as to his location. On the other side of the property, the grass is shorter than cheap outdoor carpet, and turning brown. He told me last week that the problem might be lack of nitrogen. He's out there with a spreader right now. :-)

Free entertainment. I love it. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or the first lady could simply have indeed been just a friend. (oh but that wouldn't be quite so interesting a possibility to you...)

You need to get out more.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I work from home. Sometimes, it's weird.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Then YOU need a hobby!.... I had neighbours like you once ....didn't have a life of their own, so has to look over the fence to pick apart others... Take up needlepoint and close the drapes.... Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Stop, will ya? If you're in front of a computer all day, you're supposed to get up regularly. What better place to go than outside for fresh air and a peek at the garden?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Then snoop and post to Usenet all about it? Gimme a break. Guy's trying to keep up a house that's not even his, in his 'spare' time, struggling a bit with some of the oddities of the property, and you're next door watching in fascination, speculatin' on his love life, and spewing about it?

Get a more interesting work-at-home job.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

friend might be fiancial supporter or fix up adviser.

theres all sorts of legit reasons why guys have female friends, not all are sex related...

Reply to
hallerb

Sounds like you are into soap operas.

Reply to
badgolferman

When has a soap opera involved exotic lawn mowing techniques? :)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My neighbor used to prep his garden with a cat bulldozer on a 3/4 acre lot. He also doesn't mow his lawn, he harvests it. He lets it grow long. Then he cuts it short in a small patch each day, he gathers up the cut grass and feeds it to his chickens and ducks.

Odd neighbors are everywhere!

Reply to
EXT