Number of return vents vs. supply vents

The rooms in my new townhouse each have two forced air supply vents per room but have only 1 return vent per room. Is not having the same amount of return vents as supply vents in each room problematic or is this normal?

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

This is Turtle.

The ideal of number of outlets or returns has no meaning at all unless you state the size of each in respect to each and the number of each. I can have 1 return

20" X 20" and take care of 24 -- 6" discharge registers. Now I can have a 12" X 12" return in a room and it will take care of 8 -- 6" Discharge registers.

I have a discharge and return register charting page where you can figure your sizes out if you like. I'll send it to you if you like. Let me know.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

You have a return vent in every room? Pretty amazing. Around here you are lucky if you get 2 per floor.

Reply to
Art

In my quotes for a new furnace system, I'm having the return duct work changed, so that there is a hot and cold (lo and hi) return ducts.

Since my existing work uses the wall cavity for a return, this is mostly punching some new holes in the drywall. Hopefully, this will improve the A/C performance, by allowing the hot air that rises to the ceiling to be re-circulated.

Reply to
John Hines

I've never liked the idea of using a wall cavity for the return. Seems to me it is full of construction dust and is likely to leak to the attic.

Reply to
Art

Yeah, but it is what I've got to work with.

I'll pop for a 'duct cleaning' once I'm done with the construction stuff.

Reply to
John Hines

I have a single common return (20x25") for my 4 bedroom house. The doors of the bedrooms are cut a little short to allow air return.

I suspect your returns are fine.

Reply to
PJX