Not sure which way to go?

I want to install a ceiling fan in my master bedroom. The wall switch is currently at the far end of a 3 way circuit that gets its power from a outlet by the bed on the opposite side of the room (just below the first of the two switches and an outside wall with insulation).

Both options will require the outlet to be returned to non-switchable (I was replacing them all with the newer style anyway).

Option 1; Take neutral and hot from the outlet up to the first switch using existing wiring. Make the needed changes but keep the 3 way in tact. From the second switch fish up a new line to a new box and install the fan (it has a remote). This will allow us to turn on/off the power from both sides of the room.

Option 2; Take neutral and hot from the outlet up to the first switch using existing wiring. Take out the first switch altogether and using 2 of the 3 wire leads carry the neutral and hot directly from this box to the new box in the ceiling, then using 2 of the 3 wire leads carry the hot to the switch and then back to the fan. The 3 wire runs over the joists in the attic and has enough play to be cut and utilized without any additional wire.

I feel #1 is my best option, but I do not look forward to fishing the wire... it is a straight drop from the attic. It usually takes me a few frustrating hours to try and thread the needle so to speak. Is there a secret to this procedure I am not aware of. I was thinking I might push some string through the switch box opening and hope to hook it with the fish wire?

Thank you

John

Reply to
Slightly Graying Wolf

option 3 have it controlled by remote, in bed you wont want to get up to speed it up or slow it down or shut it off.

Reply to
ransley

Found the solution it was right under my nose;

Thank you

John

Reply to
Slightly Graying Wolf