Non-yellowing solar post caps?

Hi all,
I had solar post caps installed on the posts of my deck just a little over a year ago. I don't really know where the contractor got them and what brand they are. Looks like they might have been picked up at a local Home Depot. Anyways, having been in full sun for a year (you'd think it's a basic design requirement for a solar light), the vinyl around the solar panels have yellowed pretty badly. The vinyl of the railing is fine. I would like to replace the caps, so can someone recommend from experience a good brand to look for?
Thanks! ------------------------------------- \//.
DA wrote:

I'd be interested in the same, but I have a feeling I"m going to go to low voltage. All of the solar products that I've seen for porch/walkway lighting have been cheap, disposable crap and I haven't gotten a recommend for anything better yet.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Dec 6, 2:19�pm, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

protect the panels paint the tops whatever color you want
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'd try that before I paid to replace them- scuff up with a scotchbrite pad, degrease, and spray paint with something that says it is compatible with plastic. If the plastic parts need to flex at all, the stuff sold for car bumpers should work. Nothing to lose but the five bucks for the paint, and a little time. Without seeing the caps, don't know if it is trivial to remove and disassemble, or if masking and painting in place would work.
Personally, I always did think that vinyl was over-rated for any applications where sunlight and/or weather are involved.
-- aem sends...

Might have been true a decade ago, but our busy plastics chemists have come up with a real arsenal of UV inhibitors since then, as witness the burgeoning use of vinyl conduit in above and underground electrical services. Recently there has been a lot of commercial activity in vinyl trim for residential use. IIRC, Certainteed is one of those. I've got some vinyl house gutters 7 or 8 years old that have weathered as well as the neighbors aluminum. Consider also, the high percentage of vinyl windows being used in residential these days. In one aspect you're right...a crappy product will yield crappy results. Some fly-by-night molders will likely always be around to screw the unwary.
Joe
DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Non-yellowing-solar-post-caps-410378-.htm :
Joe wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions, guys. I don't know if Certainteed actually makes solar post caps but I'll take a look, maybe they do.
I am reluctant to paint the caps back to bright white because chances are I'm not going to be able to restore the shine of the surface and they are probably going to look like an amateur work. However, painting does beat simply throwing out otherwise fine LED lights, so I'll have to check if it would be easy enough to remove the cap from the rest of the light's parts (electronics, glass, reflector). There is too much other surfaces to cover when spray-painting, the cap must certainly be removed and painted separately. I'm going to attempt that when it becomes a bit warmer outside. Thanks again!