Nobody was listening.

Page 3 of 16
FDR wrote: ....

Their brains appear to be at least one item not brought in to full play, anyway.

And who didn't have them ready for deployment earlier?

This is Turtle.
You can't charge Polical Government elected officals with being stupid or being inhuman for you would have 90% of all Elected Officals in jail that are elected right now.
Now I will say this , they were incompetant but the Multi-Billions of Dollars that would come their way in the form of aide from the Federal Govt. for them to figure out how to pick off a few billion for them to have a retirement program was the biggest deal of all. They just waited too late to know when to stop and give up. You should know your ability and what you can handle before you start a job like this.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Ahhhhh. (blissfull sigh)
"I have a dreeeam."
Well, it's not as good as stringing them up, but it's got to be cheaper than keeping them in office.
Per TURTLE:

Now it's starting to jell....
--
PeteCresswell

It still doesn't explain why 5+ days went by without help.

First off, it did *not* take "5+ days" after the storm made landfall before help started coming. In the second place, even after it made landfall, it was *still* a friggin' hurricane, for Pete's sake -- kinda tough to fly helicopters, or drive trucks, in 100mph winds. They *can't* start moving help in until after the winds subside.
And, of course, delivery of help is considerably complicated when gangs of thugs start shooting at the rescue helicopters and repair trucks.
--
Regards,

The storm was out of there quickly.

1200 National Guard were there by Tuesday. It took till Friday for 40k more to arrive. If they had shown a stronger presence up front, the lawlessness would have been quickly stopped.

Not as quickly as you seem to think.

And if the New Orleans cops had been doing their jobs at the beginning, it never would have gotten started. But they allowed looting to go unchecked for two days. Now you want to blame the _national_ government for the lawlessness?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Don't overlook the fact that they turned all of those in prison loose on the streets.
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know

They should have left them in the prisons to die like the thousands of innocent victims. It's God will that these thing happen. Hallelujah.
On 6-Sep-2005, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That's not too reasonable. Hundred of cops against thousands of looters (many armed) with _no_ jails, squad cars (the streets are under water, after all) etc. I'd like to see you do a better job.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

I don't envy them the task, but...
Some of the cops went so far as to join in, so there clearly are some serious problems in the force to start with.
Looters had to get around the flooded streets as well as the cops--most of what I saw being looted wasn't all that flooded, nor would it have made a lot of sense to loot water-damaged goods.
An early example made of several would have had a pretty major mitigating factor in all likelihood.
That said, it was a tough situation and leadership from the top didn't seem to be up to the task both locally and statewide which certainly didn't give the average "cop on the beat" much support.
It just seems from here as if everyone, from the man on the street on up, decided that it wasn't going to be all that bad, and it's someone else's responsibility to deal with it anyway.
And then it WAS that bad.
Goedjn wrote:

Congress should listen to you when they have their hearings (which they undoubtedly will). That's probably as good a synopsis as any they're likely to come up with. They'll just take weeks(or months) and volumes and volumes to come up with basically the same thing.
SueK

Ahh, you are talking about New Orleans, here. The place where a former politician said the only way he could lose an election was if he was caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy.

The looters only had to carry what they stole. The cops would have had to carry around fighting looters. I repeat - there were no jails.

Given that there was no effective communication or electricity, the example would have been effectively invisible.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

I was suggesting they leave the bodies where they fell...

I suspect word would have spread pretty quickly...

And I repeat: Bullets and bodybags are cheap, and the correct way to deal with looters.
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Short form: I\'m trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn\'t contain a password in the

Yup, human life is cheap. Shoot anyone that has an item in their hand that looks like it might have been stolen. It doesn't matter if it is food, bottled water, or TV sets. The fact that they may have been transporting property they owned, should never be investigated. Just shoot them. Typical survivalist attitude.
After watching the waste of human life, cause it was cheap, in Vietnam, I never thought I'd hear it from uppity US citizens, who supposedly value life. But, I have time after time. The exact reason, after being a peace officer for a period of time, I quit. Couldn't shot someone who stole a small or large item, if they didn't have a weapon and innocent people were not in danger. Property can be replaced, innocent lives can not.
But then, some people value their and other's possessions more than other's lives. Religion taught us that, right?
YK
YouKidding? wrote:

I'm sure the flatscreen TVs, etc., coming out of the upscale stores were personal property they had already purchased but wasn't yet delivered so thought this was a good time. Yeah.
But, no, human life isn't cheap and it isn't really the looting, per se.
It's that anarchy simply can <not> be allowed to develop.
It's one thing to go scavanging for food and water and other necessities. This was nothing other than common hoodlums.

Can you be sure without properly investigating? The way the OP posted we should start killing anyone who looked like they might be looting. I have more than enough killing in my lifetime, but I'm sure others could care less about taking a life. After all, killing others is part of what we need to keep civility in this nation, right? Death by firearms is part of what we have to keep others under control? Oh well, enough said on my part. I'm sure I could never convince you that taking a life, for property alone, is murder, plain and simple.
YK