Nobody was listening.

Page 11 of 16

What would you need to get in? What would be making the noise?
It'd take you a while and make a hella noise,

I'm sure you'll understand that I'm not going to tell the world how to defeat my personal security precautions. If you can't imagine what it would take to get into a _vault_, well, I can't help you much.

I notice you missed responding to the central point of my response. Why, oh why, might that be I wonder?

Because what it would require is power tools or explosives. Since there's no electricity after the hurricane, that rules power out. And I don't often see explosives lying around either. Sounds like shoddy security in those shopkeepers cases.

That you have better security than the shopkeepers in NO?

Of course it wouldn't. I could get in with hand tools and other equipment in my own workshop. But it'd take a while.

There isn't?

Those, would be in the vault.

No, it sounds like you don't have a clue. You (well, maybe not you) could get into _any_ secured area given the motivation, time, and privacy to do it. They had their wares out to be sold, which involves them being visible. Which means, usually, a glass display case. Now, tell me how tough it would be to get into a glass display case?

No shit. I'm also not -SELLING THINGS- which requires that they be, you know, visible. You said "the stuff got stolen so obviously they didn't care about security", and I provided a blisteringly obvious counterexample showing how your point was wrong. Now, your point seems to have shifted?

Exactly my point.

Then that's your third point-shift in as many messages.

I notice you also didn't answer this. Imagine my surprise.

According to my one textbook on building security systems, the estimated time for one man with a sledgehammer to get through a steel-reinforced concrete wall 8" thick is 8 minutes.
I seriously doubt that there's any vault in NO that could keep me out for more than a day, if I really wanted to get into it, and was sure no-one would bother me.
It is cannonical that detection and human responders are an absolutely vital part of any security(containment) system.
--Goedjn

I'm surprised it's that quick, but yes, you've got the right idea.

Absolutely correct.

Yup. If nobody cares that you're pounding through a vault wall, nobody is going to stop you from getting in.

Wll then I stand corrected if it's that easy.

Wrong. Without going into detail, a good, solid hammer would do most of what you would need to do. AFA power tools, there are cordless tools available that work pretty well.
FDR wrote:

A misc rural or home repairs regular should know HOW to circumvent such safeguards as part of repairing them and knowing which ones slow thieves the most.
And how useless they can be under the conditions existing in New Orleans.
You would, at most, need someone to remind you of the conditions existing there if you were worth paying the least attention to. For you to continue pursue your position shows you do not know what your are talking about.

What part of "as much time as you want and no concerns about making noise" aren't you understanding? Hell, given all the time you want and the knowledge that nobody cared about noise, you could even get into _my_ gun storage vault. It'd take you a while and make a hella noise, but the fact that you can get in, eventually, doesn't mean I "don't care all that much about (my) stuff getting robbed".
FDR wrote:

Looting (stealing from a store or home owner who has lost everything he or she owns in that building anyhow) quickly becomes robbing the other survivors of what they have.
Robbery wastes resources. The thief gains less than the victim loses, yielding a net loss of assets in the population and increasing the number of people who need rescue.

So it was also wrong for those people to steal food too. You concur with me on this I would believe.

Whatever happened to this thing called insurance?

It OK to steal from people as long as they are insured?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, if it is the insurees stealing from the insurance company or the federal government. Physically remove 10- $50 pair of sneakers and you can (and many here applaud) be shot and killed. Making slight oversight errors on the worth of your insured property for sums perhaps way in excess of the fatal $500 sneaker grab, well, that's just the cost of doing business, and if caught at it, there will not be any such summary execution, but some longer, more drawn-out legal proceeding, with the robbers (funny, we don't call the wealthy who do this "robbers," nor do we call this "looting.") paying some token fine.
Ripping off a shoe store of $500....shoot the b***ards! Ripping off an insurance company of $50,000.....Club Fed.....if that.
And selling what you told the insurance company (or the federal government) was your "....entire stock, that was taken away by the muddy waters...," where "the muddy waters" was the name your brother-in-law gave his truck, is just good old American capitalism. "Looter?" "Robber?" "Shot dead"? Heavens no.
"
wrote in message >>

No. But that's what insurance is for. Your car gets stolen. Police take report. Police don't investigate and most likely your robbery goes unsolved. You contact insurance company and they pay. It's the way it happens everyday. You think it's going to be any different in a hurricane aftermath?

Insurance is an excellent example of how robbery reduces total assets in the economy. The total amount paid in is less than the total amount paid out. This should be immediately obvious to anyone who can add up how much he has paid for all types of insurance and how much the insurance companies have paid out over the years.

Like they did to an innocent Brazilian man shot dead by British police who mistook him for a London bombing suspect?

Don't underestimate the power of religion, looking back at recent times, I am worry about the power of religions be it Christianity, Muslim, Buddhist or whatever and the people practicing it. Remember Pastor Jim Jones and more recently Pat Robert encouraging the assassination of Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and least we forget Osama Bin Laden. Mad men appearing on our Cables 7/24 promising all kinds of cures and a place in heaven, wealth etc. for your hard earn dollars.

What can you expect from some poeple who have the Dirty Harry mentality?