No gravel under shed pad?

I had a quote for a concrete pad (10 x 8') and the contractor didn't quote for a gravel base. Said the ground looked sound and he was going to build it on grade. Is this typical or a short cut?

Thanks

Reply to
Edee em

Even a gravel base need the ground to be sound. The need for gravel under the concrete all depends on local conditions. Areas where there is poor drainage and frost will certainly last longer and be better with gravel under the concrete. I assume that dry, warm areas have less need. All other areas will vary according to local conditions and practices, but you cannot go wrong with gravel. Also adding some re bars can add strength and reduce the tendency to crack, did he quote this or not.

When getting quotes, it is best to provide some written specifications to the contractor covering gravel, re-rods concrete strength, thickness, then all the bids are based on the same thing.

Reply to
EXT

What did your local planning, building and zoning office say? You are getting a permit, right? If you have not contacted your local office for their services, a service for which you have paid taxes, for this project you deserve to get taken.

Gordon Shumway

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That's good advise!

Reply to
Edee em

In my region, no permit is required for a shed under 100 sq ft. That is good advise though to give them a call.

Reply to
Edee em

What kind of weight are you going to put on this pad?

A car?

A 747 Jumbo Jet?

Do you *really* care if it develops hairline cracks because of frost heave over the next 10 to 20 years? Is it stamped concrete, or some sort of fancy acid etched finish?

What's the pad for? A shed? How thick do you want to make it? (it should be at least 3 inches).

Do you want it to pay more for gravel for most likely no additional benefit?

Is the pad located in a low spot in your yard - or a high spot? Does water pool or accumulate around it?

What is your climate? How cold does it get in the winter?

Do you have any large trees near it?

Are you going to pour it as several sections (5' x 4') separated with expansion joints or cuts? (if so, then again the need for a gravel base is reduced to zero).

10 x 8 is small enough to pour as a single slab, without needing joints or cuts. Throw some rebar in there, use an extra bag of cement to give it more strength, use a plasticizer or water reducer to make the concrete stronger, and you'll have a pad that will survive long after you're dead.

You don't need gravel under it.

Just prepare the ground, rake it flat, smooth and level. Put down a good thick piece of plastic, nail up your forms and then just pour the concrete. Ideal temperature is between 55 and 75. Don't pour if it's hotter than 85 if you have a choice.

You don't need gravel under a 10 x 8 concrete pad.

You also probably don't need a permit from the city either. Not for something so small (assuming it's a shed). And certainly not for just a "pad" - no matter how large.

Reply to
Home Guy

Ok, yes. I focused on the body of the post and not the subject.

I still say that gravel isin't needed, given the size and application.

Putting gravel down without putting a membrane between the gravel and concrete would also be dumb. I don't know what contractors do in that regard, but it clearly would be counter-productive to NOT put a membrane down before pouring.

Reply to
Home Guy

Many localities do not require a permit for sheds that are less than

100 square feet.
Reply to
Larry W

You must get a permit everytime you turn on your computer. It appears you do not have such a permit, therefore you have been reported. If you did indeed posted this message without a valid permit, you will be investigated and receive a very large fine. You deserve it !!!!

Reply to
fhotyiipz