No Drip Caulk Guns- Do They Work??

Page 1 of 2

Looking for your experiences. Thanks. Frank

Yes, once you push the button it releases the plunger pressure. Also depends on what type of "caulk" you are using. For instance, Dap roofing sealant will continue to run out of the tube w/o any pressure from the plunger.
Thanks all for your help. Releasing the piston probably works best, but I would think one of the guns with a no-drip feature might be more convenient if one were doing a series of short caulks, no? I will be using Blackjack roofing caulk in my application.

OK, I guess I don't know what a "no drip" caulking gun is.
I've been using one of these
http://i47.tinypic.com/2dam93q.jpg since the early 90's. Push the spring loaded thumb trigger and the plunger stops.
I have no clue about Blackjack roofing caulk.
It's not 100%, but it seems to make a big difference in my very limited experience.

I've done a fair amount of caulking and I find that if I simply pop the pressure release just as I'm finishing applying the caulk I don't get any drips.
As I approach the end of a run, I put my thumb on the tab and press it.
I guess if I needed a new caulk gun, I'd consider a no-drip model, but I've got 3, so I don't see myself ever buying a new one.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are some people actually too stupid to release the the piston after applying caulk? I never drip either.
--
If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either.
Signature file not found

It's not stupidity, but naive users need to be told (e.g. at the checkout cash register. This takes about 5 sec.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

re: "at the checkout cash register."
Where do you shop that the cashier would offer product usage instructions at the register?
Do they offer a 5 second tutorial on everything they sell?
"Don't let the tape measure snap back into the case and it'll last longer." "For best results, don't hold the hammer handle near the head." "Use a punch before you drill metal with that bit so it doesn't wander." "Dull the points before you use those nails so they don't split the wood."
Thousands of items...thousands of tips! :-)

No wonder the lines move so slowly at Home Depot.

At my HD there is usually only one checkout lane that has a person.

Is that person an employee or are there just not a lot of shoppers? ;-)

I should have been more clear. Usually only one checkout lane has a cashier. At my local HD you usually check yourself out, which I think is bullshit. You should get a discount for having to check yourself out. After all, they are saving money by not having to hire cashiers.
Ron wrote:

you do. it's called lower prices.
they should charge extra for a human checkout.

Bullshit...they haven't lowered their prices. The same goes for the grocery store that I shop at. Self checkout, and the prices are the same if not higher. At least back in the 80's when some grocery stores were "bag it yourself" you *were* getting your items at a lower price.
Ron wrote:

i didn't say they were going to lower pricess. i meant that the prices were lower.
rephrased: lower prices than if they didn't have them. the increase in price hasn't occurred, or is less than what the increase would have been without them. furthermore, labor costs aren't going up as fast, so your prices aren't increasing as fast as they would have since they don't have to staff as many people at any time.

OK, explain to me why the prices are the *same* at a much older HD that I also shop at that doesn't even have self checkout.
Ron wrote:

it's a company. costs are shared. each individual store isn't a lone business entity. you state that the costs of various items at different stores are sometimes the same. if you look at stores in different states, this is still true, even if the cost of shipping the item to that individual store may be different than some other store in a different state, or even in the same state.
On 6/16/10 3:11 PM, Ron wrote:

I agree, it's less service-- but did you ever consider what those checkout scanners must cost? Plus they have one clerk there to handle scan problems/errors and prevent you from having 8 items in your cart but just scanning 7.

They have to have the scanners anyway. And that *one* clerk is covering about 10 checkout lanes. I had an item that wouldn't scan one time and said screw it, I through it in the bag anyway.