New Water Heater Regulations - April 16

If you are considering buying a new water heater, you might want to do it soon because updates to the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) that will go into effect April 16 will impact your choices and costs in the future.
http://www.omaha.com/money/new-water-heater-rules-coming-expect-more-expensive-units-tighter/article_30becf82-a3aa-5cec-ab3f-32119941a401.html - or - http://preview.tinyurl.com/khkbtlw
http://www.kvue.com/story/money/consumer/2015/03/04/new-water-heater-regulations-go-into-effect-in-april/24390441/
I just bought a new natural gas water heater and will be using a 3/4" flex connect kit.
Which one of the 2 flex kits below is preferred?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_185259-135-9008084046_0__
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-Lead-Free-Braided-Stainless-Steel-Electric-Water-Heater-Installation-Kit-LF-ECK18/202255002
The HD kit is basically a rubber hose inside a braided stainless-steel sheath. The one at Lowes is corrugated stainless-steel (no rubber core).
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 2:26:44 PM UTC-4, Jerry Pennwalt wrote:

Well, that's just lovely. The govt screwing the folks again. I especially like the part about an electric WH bigger than 55 being mandated to be of the heat pump variety. Faced with that, most people are probably going to buy two 40 gallon non-heat pump ones. There goes that bright idea.
And then they say the new higher priced WH's will save a whopping $1 a month. What's the pay back time on that?

Looks like it comes down to whether you want dielectric fittings or not. Otherwise, I don't see much difference. I've never seen dielectrics on gas lines before. My WHs have always been plumbed in without using anything special. Black pipe for the gas. No problems either.
On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 14:40:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Same here. I have always run the water pipes directly to the water heater. When I was working for a plumber in the 80's he onlty used those flex pipes if the customer wanted them, That may have been twice, in 10 years, because most people dont know anything. They just working plumbing. Unless for some odd reason the pipes or tank are meant to move, there is no reason to use those flex pipes. We did use dielectric unions on copper because of the steel tank.
On 03/10/2015 02:40 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Looks like we need a law to prevent the installation of more than 1 water heater per home.

Also if you buy an energy star rated HWH you can get up to a $300 rebate.
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 1:26:44 PM UTC-5, Jerry Pennwalt wrote:

They got me already. I bought & installed a new Propane unit last month, 4 days after it was manufactured. It looks 25-30% fatter than the replaced unit, and I had to use flex fittings to match the old height & depth.

the bigger diameter allows space for more insulation, saving you energy