New storm door problem screwup.`

I measured my Stanley steel front door and it measured 35 1/2". I then went and bought a 36" Larson Easyvent storm door which is a thick heavy duty door from Lowe's for $265. I goofed and didn't measure my outside frame where the door would fit into before I bought it. It was 35". I figured if the front door was 35 1/2 a 36 door with plus or minus tolerances would fit. I took the door back and was told the door would have to be special ordered and the cost would be $471. Menard's quoted me the same price. My front door has 2 full length side lites/windows and thus I am not able to build the frame out or route the sides in because of the thickness. Storm doors only come in 32 and 36 inch widths I was told. Thought I would mention my experience to alert others who may be getting a storm door as to a potential problem.

Reply to
Rob

Many years ago I had a sideline business selling and installing doors and windows. Measured hundreds of them and only ever screwed up one. That was my own front storm door. Spent some time with a saw and chisel.

Cutting down the door presents a whole set of problems depending on the construction. I'd advise against it, but it may be possible. Take another look at your door frame and the existing door. How is it made? I don't know the age of your house, the openings have been standardized for many years. It the existing door mounted properly? Is there a way of rebuilding the frame to accommodate a standard door?

Have you looked at alternative doors and manufacturers? Door with expanders used to be made in one inch increments and maybe someone still does it that way. There is more to life that Home Depot and the other big box stores. Go elsewhere and you may be pleasantly surprised. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Ed Thanks for your reply. My home is a new home that was just finished. After talking to my builder the only thing I can do is bite the bullet and pay the extra cash if I want a storm door. I blame the Stanley company for not doing more research on their product/s.

Reply to
Rob

Hard to believe that a new house would be out of "standard" spec. I went to the Stanley web page, but no information on the doors is shown. Why not contact Stanley and see if they have a recommendation? Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
calhoun

i am late on this thread and have not read them all. but if your door is metal or fiberglass check with manufacturer. you may not want a storm. a lot of heat can build up if it is to the west or south. becareful

Reply to
charlie

You goofed, yet you blame the manufacturer???

Reply to
Childfree Scott

He says he cannot use a standard sized door. If that is true, the manufacturer screwed up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There is no such thing as a "standard size" door. That's why many "pros" own a tape measure and are trained on its uses.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

There are exceptions, but 95% or more of the storm doors are either 32" for rear entry doors or 36" for front entry doors. I'd call them "standard" sizes. Just look at the offerings of the many manufacturers. Some will do special, others will only do 32" and 36", the standard sizes in use in most homes build today.

I was in the business for some years. Sure we had a lot of specials made, but most fell into the standard category. It is not easy to cut down an aluminum storm door no matter how well you can read a tape measure.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski