New storm door problem screwup.`

I measured my Stanley steel front door and it measured 35 1/2". I then went and bought a 36" Larson Easyvent storm door which is a thick heavy duty door from Lowe's for $265. I goofed and didn't measure my outside frame where the door would fit into before I bought it. It was 35". I figured if the front door was 35 1/2 a 36 door with plus or minus tolerances would fit. I took the door back and was told the door would have to be special ordered and the cost would be $471. Menard's quoted me the same price. My front door has 2 full length side lites/windows and thus I am not able to build the frame out or route the sides in because of the thickness. Storm doors only come in 32 and 36 inch widths I was told. Thought I would mention my experience to alert others who may be getting a storm door as to a potential problem.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Ed Thanks for your reply. My home is a new home that was just finished. After talking to my builder the only thing I can do is bite the bullet and pay the extra cash if I want a storm door. I blame the Stanley company for not doing more research on their product/s.

Hard to believe that a new house would be out of "standard" spec. I went to the Stanley web page, but no information on the doors is shown. Why not contact Stanley and see if they have a recommendation? Ed
Rob wrote:

metal or fiberglass check with manufacturer. you may not want a storm. a lot of heat can build up if it is to the west or south. becareful

You goofed, yet you blame the manufacturer???

He says he cannot use a standard sized door. If that is true, the manufacturer screwed up.
There is no such thing as a "standard size" door. That's why many "pros" own a tape measure and are trained on its uses.

There are exceptions, but 95% or more of the storm doors are either 32" for rear entry doors or 36" for front entry doors. I'd call them "standard" sizes. Just look at the offerings of the many manufacturers. Some will do special, others will only do 32" and 36", the standard sizes in use in most homes build today.
I was in the business for some years. Sure we had a lot of specials made, but most fell into the standard category. It is not easy to cut down an aluminum storm door no matter how well you can read a tape measure.
Do you know where the storm door mounts? It screws to the outside of the brick mold. Some Stanley doors, with sidelights, are not built out on the sides to the same depth as the perimeter brickmold. Your 35" measure sounds like the inside measure of the dividing mullion. If this is the case you need to add an extension to the sides to build it out the same depth as the top. This extension will add an extra 1" width (1/2" reveal on each side to match the 1/2" on top). If this is an older Stanley the 2 sidelights are separate units. There is a piece of trim, covering the joint between the sidelight and door frame, that runs from sill to brickmold. This can be removed trimmed 3/8" and reinstalled. This will give you the width.