New Smoke Alarms

Hi, I'm currently in the proccess of purchasing a house, which only has a few smoke alarms in it. I'd like to replace them when we finally close on the house, with new ones, so I know the date they were installed. I do not want to tear the walls/ceilings of the house apart, but I would like to have interconnected alarms. Does anyone know of any battery alarms that might talk to each other via some type of RF link?
~ Matt
Matt wrote:

You did not specifically say it, but are you sure they are not interconnected?
Retiredff wrote:

I do not know for sure. I'm thinking they aren't as I didn't see a seperate breaker box in the basement, but it's possible they got wired into the same electrical box as everything else. I don't THINK they are interconnected.. but even if they were.. there are still some missing from areas I'd like to put them in, and to interconnect I'd have to rip up ceilings/walls, wouldn't I?
Matt wrote:

I've never seen a breaker for the detectors only. Not sure if it is allowed, but would not think they are. You know, someone burns dinner, they turn off the breaker, then forget to turn it back on.
If you remove the unit, should just be a 1/4" or so twist, and take a look at the wiring. There should be three wires on the plug that plugs into the unit. Two of them are the house wiring. The third is the interconnect wire. It is only about six inches long. If it is not being used, then it should just be shoved into the elec. box, behind the adaptor plate.
You are right about tearing up the drywall. A good electrition could do with minimal damage. If this is a one-story house, and you have attic access (which you should) then you could run the wiring without any damage.
Thanks, I'm familiar with them and how they work (they are in my apartment where I am living now). The house in question is a 2 story house with attic access. In the apartment there is a breaker for them, but they also run off battery (albeit.. they don't talk to each other when only on battery).
I know I saw some RF units they were about $50 a piece though, I think... would be nice though... I suppose I could always conduit.. but then there is the issue of running to every room!
Matt wrote:

And a quick look in a couple year-old catalog had them for aroung $100.
Looks like, either way, it is going to cost some money. Nothing is simple, or cheap, these days.
Press the TEST button and all those interconnected will sound too. Get other family members to listen.
Unsure what country you're in but screwfix.com have alarms with radiolinking via special bases.

Gel, This is weird.. I've noticed the UK seems to have a vast quantity of radio linked smoke alarms.. maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but the U.S. seems to lack in them!

full-masonry construction there.
Matt wrote:

I am not sure what you are asking. Do you have some that are interconnected, but want to add more, without tearing up the walls? Are none of them interconnected?
As for any that are RF linked, not sure. It seems I have seen some X-10 (home automation) style detectors that might work for you. Try searching www.x10.com, and see what you come up with. I just tried the site, and could not get past the home page.

If the home was built in the last 5 years they are already connected. Test one and check the others to see if they sound. Not sure why you want new detectors? I have seen detectors work for more than 20 years with out a hitch. Just keep them clean, use canned air to blow out the particles near the eye(s).

Talk with several alarm monitoring companies, and get estimates from them for both installation and monitoring service.