New roof cost.

Page 2 of 2  
On May 17, 11:35 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Sure, for a rough estimate based on size/configuration, but you can't see the details that add a hundred here, two hundred there, from outer space.
My final quote went up by a third once we discussed everything that I wanted and/or needed to be done.
There's no way a decent estimate can be given without a face to face discussion - unless you're the type that just says OK and doesn't ask questions so that you truly understand what you are getting for your money.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

That's exactly what they're doing, a rough estimate.

Those details can be discussed over the phone, too.

Nonsense.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 19 May 2012 00:31:02 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

You and I are on the same page. He's just being silly because he can't admit he's wrong.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Now you're back pedaling. No one said there aren't different ways to make estimates. *YOU* said that the estimator had to be there in person; wrong.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On May 19, 2:13 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

jp5.lhd> wrote:

I'm not backpedaling at all.
I still 100% think that just calling around and getting rough estimates based on the number of squares is a waste of time because there are too many other factors involved.
Having just gone through the process, and having to had discussed the details of all 5 quotes with each of the bidders, I can easily look back and see that if I had I simply called the 5 same roofers and asked them to bid on X squares, and then decided on which of them to talk to in more detail based on that number, I would have chosen the wrong roofer.
It was the face to face, Q&A (from both of us), options offered and suggestions made that led me to choose the roofer that I did, and the one that I am 100% happy with now that the job is done.
When I say it's 2 different ways of geting an estimate, I simply mean that if it works for you (or Doug) then run with it. It really makes no difference to me how you choose your contractors. For me, a rough estimate based on number of squares is too rough for me to work with and is therefore the wrong way to make a decision. The fact that I think it's the wrong way for you guys to go about it also is something you can agree with or not. That doesn't matter to me, nor does my opinion make me wrong.
As I've said all along when I answered Doug's *question* the first time. "No, I do not think the number of squares is a good thing know for future reference."
I don't need that number because I'll never, ever, use that information for anything.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Bullshit.
Now you're moving the goal posts. Nice. You really can't admit that you're wrong.

You can't know that.

Irrelevant.
Back pedaling.

Wrong.
That's likely. It is information.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On May 19, 2:51 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

mrljp5.lhd> wrote:

the other issue is how many new roofs does anyone pay for in a lifetime?
with bitchane underlayment and 50 year shingles it might just be one....
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

tomrljp5.lhd> wrote:

This is my second. In both cases the number of squares was never part of the discussion and never needed to be.
Should I need another roof in my lifetime, the number of squares will not be needed in order to get the type of estimates *I* will want to get.
To each his own...
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 19 May 2012 14:29:18 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Finally we have something you said, we can agree upon <grin> !!
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Interesting. Bing Maps ( http://bingmaps.com ) has even better views with their "Bird's eye" view. It's pretty cool.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 17 May 2012 19:40:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

If they give it to me, yes for my budget.

That plus other considerations will help me decide who to call for an actual quote.

Yes. For me, it allows me to budget rather than guess.

"before anyone came to the house?".... yes and no, let me explain. We had roofers driving up and down the street looking for more work when many roofs in the area were being replaced so I decided to speak to one of them. In talking, I learned the # squares for my roof.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Why wouldn't they? Perhaps because the number of squares is not enough to base a decent estimate on?

Well, it seems to me that if "many roofs" were all replaced at the same time, then you'll have just as many roofers driving up and down your street when all those roofs age out and you can just flag a couple down for an on-site estimate. No need to call around trying to get estimates based solely on the number of squares you have. :-)
In any case, going back to your original question, I still don't think that knowing the number of squares on my roof is something I'll ever need "for future reference". If you think you'll be using that information in your future, then it's a good thing you know your numbers. Make sure you write then down someplace so you don't forget them. ;-)
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 18 May 2012 16:00:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Salesmanship, etc.... .

Ridiculous.
No need. I just keep my receipts.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

The actual cost will be somewhere between ONE CENT, and ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS (US currency).
There's your only accurate answer from alt.home.repair.
Add pictures here
โœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.