New photos of our house

Hello, everyone! I've added a few posts to my blog in case anyone is interested in checking out the latest photos of our house that is under construction (and nearing completion).
Choosing a Hot Water Heater and Water Softener http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/67/Choosing-a-Hot-Water-Heater-and-Water-Softener.aspx
Preparing For Drywall Finishing With Red Paper http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/66/Preparing-For-Drywall-Finishing-With-Red-Paper.aspx
Cutting Holes In Drywall For In-Ceiling Speakers http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/68/Cutting-Holes-In-Drywall-For-In-Ceiling-Speakers.aspx
Cutting In And Other Painting Fun http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/69/Cutting-In-And-Other-Painting-Fun.aspx
Italianate Cottage: A New Old House In Charlmette, Louisiana http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/65/Italianate-Cottage-A-New-Old-House-In-Charlmette,-Louisiana.aspx
...that last one is the first entry in our blog for another "new old house" besides ours. If you guys know anyone else who would like to submit photos and a story for their "new old house" let me know. It's kind of fun to learn about other people's "new old houses."
- John
in your picture of the hot water heater / water softener, please tell me that white vertical plastic pipe to the right of the heater (that looks like $hit) is not a gas line !
if it is, you need to have whoever did that shoddy job to do over.
if it's a suction line for the salt tank, make them do it over anyway, it looks like $hit !

http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/67/Choosing-a-Hot-Water-Heater-and-Water-Softener.aspx
http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/66/Preparing-For-Drywall-Finishing-With-Red-Paper.aspx
http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/68/Cutting-Holes-In-Drywall-For-In-Ceiling-Speakers.aspx
http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/69/Cutting-In-And-Other-Painting-Fun.aspx
http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/65/Italianate-Cottage-A-New-Old-House-In-Charlmette,-Louisiana.aspx

It probably should be galvanized pipe or at least metal hose. I don't like the idea of pvc foe gas lines

Look closer - The gas line should enter on the left side of the gas valve. It is open in the photo, so gas line isn't run yet.
BTW, Galvanized isn't code in my area, but black pipe would be.
JK
Galvanized isn't code for what? Code doesn't say galv is not allowed on gas, it's just not preferred.
--
Steve Barker

"Big_Jake" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

Quick hijack question - is black pipe black because of rust protection - i.e. as in gun blueing or parkerizing. I understand the difference between blueing and parkerizing by the way, but I didn't have the proper term for it off the top of my head.

Depends on where you live. I know for a fact that the town where I work will not approve galvanized. http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/gasfaults.htm#gasfaults6 Safety warning: Check condition of flexible gas line connections: Caution: we do not pull out appliances to look at gas line connections, but you should do so, checking condition of flexible connections for leaks and assuring that a shutoff valve is installed. Watch for leaks in those flex-connector lines between gas line and the appliance as they are thin wall and often corrode and leak. Gas leaks are dangerous. Safety warning. Flexible soft copper piping has been used to supply municipal (natural) gas to the ... electric clothes dryer. ... hot water heater. ... heating system. This is not a recommended installation and it may be prohibited by local codes - "black iron" steel piping is required in many jurisdictions.
I don't see the reference to "galvanized".
--
Steve Barker

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message

Read the last line. It does not say galvanized is not allowed, but does say black is preferred. As I said, it is not allowed by our local inspector in MA, but it may be in your town. I don't argue with our local guy as it is easier to do what he wants.

Galvanized is not allowed for gas in my area. I am in SE Wisconsin. I am pretty sure that flex stainless lines are also a no-no for us on water heaters. Here we see mostly black pipe, and occasionally flex pipe such as Wardflex(tm) for "snaking" through floors and walls.
JK
Can you cite the code or provide a link for that?
--
Steve Barker

"Big_Jake" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

No. As far as I know, WI is one of the only states that hasn't (or isn't) adopting a more universal code for plumbing. I'm sure that poking around the web enough I could find and cite the code, but it is likely a WI only thing, so what is the value to the group as a whole?
JK