new lot, grass and landscaping

Good day.

I'm in a new construction home on a lot of dirt. I have an allowance from the builder to landscape. Its not enough of an allowance for this big lot, so I need to do it on my own. Now, I have some estimates to get the loam and hydro seed delivered, but I need to prep the lot before I have anything delivered. I also have to grade the back yard.

So, my question is this. Can anyone advice me on what it is that I need to do to prep the lot? For example, the builder appears to have just used a bulldozer to level things out, so there are roots, branches, rocks, sand, pebbles, nail, pieces of the siding, ect all over the place. I can rake up the trash and some of the debris pretty easily. But when I rake up the roots, I get 3 more roots pulled up for every one that I rake up. And there are plenty of rocks out there too.

Here is the lot...

If I paid a landscaper to do all the work of loaming and seeding, what would they do to prep the lot?

Any advice or suggestions of any sort are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Reply to
MikeNereson

The first thing I would do is make sure there is a properly installed perimeter drain system that works. Most builders screw them up.

Reply to
Art

I would use the allowance to grade and put in topsoil, sod the front if possible. Before that, I would tell the builder to clean up his waste. Does anything in your contract or local code address removing waste?

Reply to
Norminn

The builder did, what is called "rough grading".

Probably the least a landscaper would have to do is: Use of a rockhound, and a minimum of 2" of topsoil.

There could be a lot more involved with "fill dirt", especially low spots or sloping away from the foundation.

Reply to
Monty K.

If you think you would ever want a sprinkler system, now would be the time to put one in. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

I can't tell from the pictures, but does the grade run to the house? If so, get that fixed. . Then, spend every dime of your landscaping allowance on loam. Then, if you need more loam, pay for it. At least 6". Somebody else mentioned 2", but for a really lush lawn, you need a nice base of loam.

Once the grass is hydroseeded, etc, it costs alot more $$ to fix a badly graded, thin layer of loam. I made the exact same mistake I am afraid you might make. Get the basics down first. . Plants are cheap as compared to a screwed-up lot. You can do plants at any time. Also, the sprinkler recommendation was a good one, too.

Reply to
Jack