New GE disposal - loud click when turned on?

Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on, it makes a _really_ loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is normal. It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound deadening stuff if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800 number was no use. Anyone have one of these who can tell me how it ought to work?
TIA
Theres a good chance that all it is are the blades moving outward.

Could it be a seed or something in the disposer that has fallen in? Sometimes this will make a one click as it slams against the disposer sidewall, but then is held in place by centrifugal force.
The unit is brand new, never used. It is like something slamming outward when it starts spinning, or maybe a loose connection between the drive motor and whatever it's driving - like slack is being taken up.
I did find that it was incredibly more quiet when I installed the little rubber thing into the opening. I couldn't believe it could deaden the sound so much. I'm guessing it's operating as designed, although I don't really understand why it needs to be this way.
DesignGuy wrote:

Most disposals have a couple of metal parts that help with the grinding. Starting empty they may slam outward from centrifugal force. Try putting some garbage in and see if that stops the bang. Never had a GE so I don't know if it is normal.
"Edwin Pawlowski
Most disposals have a couple of metal parts that help with the grinding. Starting empty they may slam outward from centrifugal force. Try putting some garbage in and see if that stops the bang. Never had a GE so I don't know if it is normal. "
I agree. I've seen various makes of disposals do this too. But it's usually only occasionally on start up, not all the time. Probably depending on how some food left the grinding widgets when it shut off. It seems to happen also if some small object, like a small pit has been bouncing around inside.

What happend when you called?

mm wrote:

The person was nice enough, but she was just some phone answering lady and I could tell she didn't actually know anything. She looked in her database for known issues and found nothing and then basically blew me off politely.
replying to Charles, Diana Benobo wrote:

I just replaced my 3/4 horse Kenmore with another 3/4 from Sears after 20+ years of service. The new one makes a LOUD CLICK! On startup. They new one has a rotating plate of diffe%nt design. The old one had food-pushers or blades that could spin 360 degrees. The new one has blades that click against structures on their plate designed to stop them. I'm thinking that it might be too noisy for me even though it might be designed to force things more quickly into the grinding ring. IT ALSO HAS TEETH,v-shaped,two of them, one pressed up and the other pressed down into this lower chamber below them spinning plate.where there food exits from the grinder. The teeth probably grab and push, but it also is less safe for people who don't refrain from putting their hand into their machinery. I thought that free spinning design to be my ideal.
On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 8:44:08 PM UTC-4, Diana Benobo wrote:

Even though the post you're replying to is 10 years old, thought I'd reply in case anyone has a similar issue. I put in a Waste King a few years ago and it also made a loud bang when it started up, which I assume are the blades settling out. It's at it's worse when you fire it up empty for the first time. With food in it, the noise is much less. Also, I think over time it lessened, even when empty, probably because some crud gums it up a bit. But you would think designers would realize that it's not a good thing and address it. Insinkerator ones I've had don't do this.