New Garbage Disposal Recommendations???

Page 1 of 2
Just going through a kitchen remodel and need to purchase a new disposal. I've been looking at makes/models/prices/features/etc and it appears they all do just about the same thing.
So, before I plunge I thought I would ask the group for recommendations? I'd like to keep the purchase cost <$300.
Thanks
On 7/21/2013 8:13 AM, BobMCT wrote:

I have had good luck with 'In-Sink-Erator' brand, assuming you are not talking about a garbage compactor, but one that goes in the sink drain. Easy to install and works well. Don't know current pricing but 5-6 years or so ago it was less than $300 though I don't remember the exact price.
I have had Sears models in the past, not so good luck with their offerings, you may get 5 years, I didn't. The fittings tend to rust out.
One good point about In-Sink-Erator is the rubber cover (that prevents utensils from washing in) lifts right out for easy cleaning. This also makes it easy to push large loads (a heap of potato peels for example) into the mouth of the opening.
Grind up a whole lemon once in a while to keep the insides smelling fresh.
John

+1 on the In-Sink-Erator suggestion. Look at the Evolution series.
http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/Household-Products/Garbage-Disposers/Evolution/Pages/Evolution-Excel.aspx
Mine is so quiet I sometimes forget it's on until I turn the water off. When I installed one for my elderly parents, I used a lighted switch so that they would have a visual indication that the disposer was on.
Stay away from the Badger series. I believe that's their entry level units which will be louder, smaller, etc.
On 7/21/2013 9:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The material the sink is made of has an impact on noise as well. Stainless sinks tend to be way noisier (vibration) running a disposal than a heavier material like cast iron/porcelain.
John
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 06:29:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

CR recommended this 1 HP Waste King Legend 8000TC at $230: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/garbage-disposers/garbage-disposer-ratings/models/overview/waste-king-legend-8000tc-99019617.htm
I would have bought that, except it wasn't in the hardware store that I went to, and it was an emergency, so my options were few.
But the OP has time to order his online.
$230 1 HP Waste King Legend 8000TC garbage disposal $15 power cord $5 plumbers putty ------ $250 (+ shipping/tax)

I've had Kitchen Aid for the past 30 years in this house. InSinkErator in my last. Both are made by the same outfit. I prefer batch feed models.
Do a Google search on the model you want. I entered KBDS100T and found price differences of over $100. KCDS100T has less range of price, about $340
On Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:24:33 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have experience with Insinkerator and Waste King. For similar models, Insinkerator is about $170, vs $90 for the WasteKing. I have an Insinkerator for about 10 years now, still working fine. A friend just replaced one of the cheaper Insinkerators that a builder installed that was just 6 years old and kaput. He went with the WasteKing.
For the price difference, I think the WK is a good deal. It's highly rated in the online ratings I saw. Some differences though:
The WK doesn't have the easy hang type of mounting that Insinkerator does. I don't think it's a big deal, it's still very easy to install. Upon installation, the first time you turn it on, or if it's been sitting and is totally empty, the WK has a metallic clunk sound when it first starts. Sounds like the metal heads moving out. If there is stuff in it, as you'd normally use it, not much difference in the startup noise. But I'd still say the Insinkerator is quieter overall. WK has a long, in home warranty and is made in the USA. Not sure where Insink is made.
Also, with any of them, be aware that some come with cords attached, some do not. The WK came with a cord and had to take that off to install it.
And as John pointed out, the Insink, at least some of them if not all, have a removable rubber baffle in the throat. WK does not. Having it removable is nice, when you drop something inside you can just pull it out to make it easy to get your hand inside. Or to clean it, though I can't say I've had to do that.

The removable baffle is a key feature.
The Kenmore I had had a permanent baffle. After a few years the baffle started to deteriorate, maybe from retrieving soap bars, etc. That starts a vicious cycle of more items falling in, more abuse to the baffle, even more items falling in, and so on. I was actually happy when the Kenmore started leaking.
Another advantage of the In-Sink-Erator baffle is it's sound reducing ability. Take your's out and see how much more noise you hear.
So, less noise, less (almost no) items falling in, easy retrieval if they do, etc.
I'd buy another In-sink-Erator in a heartbeat.
Disposal Recommendations???:

I used to swear by Kitchen Aid many years ago. During the past few years I've been very disappointed by them.

Why? I've had my most recent one about a year and it performs very well.
BobMCT wrote:

Hi, I always used ISE brand with good luck. Never had problem once installed. Their customer service is IMO, second to none. Real warm body with excellent knowledge answer the phone pretty quick.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 08:13:20 -0400, BobMCT wrote:

See also Consumer Reports, but I found them rather unhelpful: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/garbage-disposers.htm
All I know is only from a recent purchase. 1) I'd get stainless steel innards; but I don't personally know if that makes it last any longer. 2) I'd get 3/4 HP; but most seem to do just fine with 1/2 HP. 3. My 3/4 HP stainless steel "elements" cost $179 + tax, so, about $200, and that comes with the sink hardware and the exit elbow. Add $5 for caulking & $15 for a power cord.
Note: I didn't shop at all as my repair for a friend was an emergency replacement (the old one was leaking). So I simply bought it at the nearest store. You should be able to get a better price than I did for a 3/4 HP SS model.

Why $15 dollars for a cord? I wired mine through the wall switch with a length of Romex.
And what exactly are you "caulking"? Do you mean plumber's putty for the drain assembly? There's a big difference between caulk and plumber's putty.
BTW Where do you buy your supplies? A 6’ cord, with connector for a GD, is under $10 and a small tub of putty, enough to last you for years, is under $2.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hi, I just reused the cord from old unit.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:32:05 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

So did I, in the end (although I needed an additional strain relief and wire nuts because the old ones had to be destroyed to remove from the old unit).
But, it looks like the OP is buying new, which means he will need a cord from *somewhere*.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:24:06 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Mine was a repair for a friend, so I didn't have the time to shop so I simply bought it at the nearest hardware store, which was ACE:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2822atu.png

My mistake. I was already chastised. To me, they were the same thing; but I err. Yes, I'm talking about the plumbers putty for the drain.

The correct cord, at ACE hardware, is $16 + ~$1.60 tax: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 76688
If this was "my" home, I'd jury rig a cord out of whatever I wanted; but, since this was for a friend, and since I couldn't anticipate all that I would need (since I had never done this before), I had to buy what I thought was needed ahead of time.
If the OP has *more time* to shop, they can get better equipment at a lower price than I did. My main point was that it could be done for less than $300, which was the op's original question.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 08:53:28 -0700, Oren wrote:

Yikes!
Now why hadn't you mentioned that sooner! (not your fault)
I just realized that I arbitrarily plugged in the garbage disposal on the lower outlet, of the wall receptacle inside the kitchen undersink cabinet.
The dishwasher was on that lower outlet, but, I needed an inch more of cord (because of the amount curled inside the strain relief I guess) - so I swapped the two.
I had tested previously - by pushing the button - but I had not tested afterward. Still, my friend hasn't complained.
Maybe *both* outlets are powered by the wall switch? Naaah. Can't be. I wonder how come I didn't get a complaint in my voice mail?
Maybe I unknowingly switched them back? Hmmm... hard to tell from here, but, nobody complained. Yet, I had not realized, until now, that that wall outlet must have the top switched and the bottom permanent since the dishwasher was on the bottom.
Hmmmmmm.... (gotta listen to you more often) ....

Shouldn't it be "Never mistake raccoon poo for Muscadine grapes"?
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 08:13:20 -0400, BobMCT wrote:

According to Consumer Reports, they all do just about the same thing, but, there are two wholly different types. Continuous-feed models Pros: These garbage disposers are easiest to use, since you can push new waste in as the old waste is ground up and washed down the drain. Continuous-feed models Cons: Their open filler necks pose a greater risk to small hands and can allow bone shards and other scraps to fly out. You'll typically need to have an electrician hard-wire and mount the power switch, since these usually aren't corded. You should also hold the supplied stopper at an angle over the drain as a shield while it's running.
Batch-feed models Pros: These require you to load them with waste before turning down the stopper to activate the blades. Because the stopper keeps food in and fingers out, batch-feed models are safest, especially for families with kids. Most simply plug into an outlet. Batch-feed models Cons: These tend to cost more and can require more time to get the job done. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/garbage-disposers/buying-guide.htm
Which kind are you looking at, and why?
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:54:24 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

I've had batch fed for decades. One big reason is that there was no switch installed and I did not have to do that work. Made my own power cord and put a receptacle surface mounted under the sink. The DW uses one side of it too. Never had a time problem from doing batches. If I have that much to get rid of, it goes on the compost pile or in the trash rather than down the drain.