New electrical panel recommendations needed

I'm looking into getting a new 200 amp service box for my old house. What is the most recommended brand to consider? Any brands to avoid?

These days, I don't believe there are any terrible brands on the market, such as Frank Adams, Zinsco, or Federal Pacific. Probably the general consensus is that Square D model "QO" is the best, but Murray, Cutler Hammer, Homeline, Westinghouse, GE, and all the other universals, are fine
RBM wrote:

I'd recommend picking a panel that has listed GFCI and AFCI breakers available, should you ever decide to bring your house completely up to current code. I've seen Siemens (ITE), GE, Square D at least at the big boxes.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Every manufacturer making residential panels, make the required breakers for them

Square D is coming out with a 60 circuit panel and Cutler Hammer is coming out with a panel where the AFCI breakers stab onto the neutral bar as well as the hot buss.
Sorry to be dense, but what is the benefit of Cutler Hammer's AFCI breaker neutral bus stabbing feature?

Easier installation, neater organization due to the lack of neutral pigtails on the breakers. Normal breakers don't need a neutral connection, so the typical GFCI or AFCI breaker has a neutral pigtail. Seems like a nice idea.
Cheers, Wayne
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:01:00 -0400, "Silver Surfer"

It sounds like AFCI breakers could just be plugged in, like regular breakers can. It could make it a lot easier to replace one of those (AFCI breakers).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

thnbks a 60 circuit panel is just what i need...... thats wonderful.
Avoid Federal Pacific Electric.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

i dont believe the mains are still sold in the US and replacement breakers cost a fortune,
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:51:47 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
recommendations needed:

I thought they were long out of business?

the name lives on in canada, and theres always a chance some contractor might dig one out of the back of a warehouse:(