New deck protection.

A new deck is to be constructed (yellow pine) at my home next week. I wish to stain and then use a protectant coating immediately.
Which protectant is considered best? Water resistance? Longevity? UV resistance?
Peter.

If it is yellow pine, it does not matter. It will rot out in five years anyway. If you want it to last 25 to 75 years, use PT, cedar, mahogany, Ipe, cypress, etc. Then a coating of Penofin Oil every few years is all you need.
Why Yellow pine, it just does not last.
It will be Wolmanized, presumably not the old CCA (copper chromated arsenic) but the new stuff (zinc pyrithione). Now I have to consider how long I should wait before I use stain/protectant. Some say immediately, some say weeks, some say a year. Any ideas?
Peter.