New Condensate Pump, add one of those ammonia hocky puck things you use in toilet tanks?

Would this be a bad idea? I know those ammonia pucks you put in the toilet tanks muck up the flapper valves in the toilet tanks, so I don't use them. I had one lying around and I thought placing one in the pump might be a good way to kill any mold or bacteria when I install a new condensate pump for the dehumidifier attached to our furnice. Of course it could also ruin a brand new pump very quickly, but not sure if the pumps have any sensitive rubber or other stuff that the chemicals would ruin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reply to
sleepdog

Skip the hockey puck. Condensate pumps run fine for years withotu them.

What does the manual that came with it say? My guess is two or three drops of bleach twice a year. But that's just a guess.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If God had intended for there be ammonia pucks in condensate pumps, he would have issued you the pump with one already in there ;-)

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne

That would be a chlorine puck, I believe, and it would be far too much chlorine for the furnace application. Ammonia is harmful to metal too. Wrap it and trash it.

Reply to
C & E

Oh..here we go..the NYC HVAC wannabe with a guess..

You would be wrong Chris.

What the OP needs to do is simply get a bottle of the anti bac tabs that he can get for under $12 from a supply center that will sell to him and add one every 3 months during the cooling season, and maybe one during the winter months if hes got a condensing furnace..

Reply to
CBHVAC

Use bleach its cheaper, why waiste a trip and buy overpriced tabs when your laundry bleach will do, plus if its like mine and many your furnace is near the laundry area, where you keep the bleach, so its really free.

Reply to
m Ransley

toilet tanks?

Thanks everybody for the replies, I think I will try the bleach option first and let the chemical puck collect more dust.

Reply to
sleepdog

this is Turtle.

Cheap Bleach is cheap and you always got a bunch around all the time when you need it.

Towlet Puck aww I have dought about it not eating up something good.

HVAC drain tablets -- aww a Option but costly.

Bleach -- Cheap and you always have it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

E-mail me your addy, and Ill send you some of those so called overpriced tabs that the makers suggest over bleach...

BTW...bleach is never suggested by the makers of the units, and some makes even state in the warranty that using it kills your coil warranty....just as information.

Reply to
CBHVAC

This is Turtle.

i do hope you know we are talking about a condensate pump like Little Giant and putting a bath room towlet bowl puke in the condensate pump and not in the hvac coil of some sort as you state. A Condensate pump is made to operate in a acid condition of a Ph 3.4 and bleach would make very little difference to the pump with the Stainless steel shafts & stainless steel Metal Parts and rubber or plastic pump gear.

If you like you can read here:

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE