New Carpeting installation

My wife and I finally want get new wall to wall carpeting installed. But we were so displeased the way it had been done by Kaufmann Carpet 16 years ago we have been trying to find out a better way. We have been told that its best to get a good installer first, THEN the carpet that he can bring to us to choose. Not sure if that is the greatest idea but here is my problem.
I cannot find a carpet installer listed anywhere...just carpet retailers(sellers).. I live in northern NJ....does anyone have any recommendations for installers they have used?
rich
Rich wrote:

We went to an authorized Stainmaster dealer. They have their own installers. A good place will give you a warantee on labor, and be willing to come back if the carpet needs restretched before a year.. Naturally, a bottom of the barrel dealer will not give you that level of service and the quality will be less as well.
Most people will have found someone that does a good job, both in pricing and service and stick with them.
Maybe talk to your friends, good service is good service.
Failing that, get quotes from several retailers/installers in your area. Installers work for the retailers.
By talking with the salesmen and asking their opinions you'll get a sense for who wants you to be happy and who wants you to pay as much as you can afford.
If they really want you to be satisfied they will only hire good installers.
I've had the best experience with people who have been in the business for generations. Good personal customer service means more to them it seems.
You shouldn't need to pay for quotes - they should want your business.
Let them know you're getting several estimates, the good ones will respect you and you will be less BS'd by the others.
try home depot. they have good prices and installers.

Home Depot is a crap shoot. They have some good contractors, they have some hacks; with al the stores they have you cannot be assured of top quality every time. .
In my area, we are fortunate to have a local dealer that has very good pricing and installers that have worked for him for years. Be sure to check some of the smaller shops.
I went into Home Depot yesterday to pay for some carpet I have just ordered and was presented with this piece of paper stating that unless your carpeting is professionally cleaned once a year, the warrenty is voided. Of course, they now have this "deal" that if you sign up for their program for $300.00, everything will be just fine and dandy.
This is something new, as I wasn't presented with the paper when I had done another order in Dec.
The warrenty comes from the manufacturer not Home Depot, right, so how can they get away with this bs?
Connie

I don't know, but it might end being cheaper in the long run to go find some premium carpet at another dealer - a brand without that silly requirement.
carpet installation takes special tools and experience. it's heavy, requires skill on seams, and expertise on stairways. the younger guys may just move on to less backbreaking work. for nj, here's craigslist: http://newjersey.craigslist.org