new a/c refrigerant?

I'm in the market to replace my split-system heat pump A/C. An installer came by today and said that there is a "new r22" that eliminates the need for the expensive puron (r410). I googled and couldn't find anything about this "new r22". Has anyone read anything about it?
Jean
Jean wrote:

by today and said that there is a "new r22" that eliminates the need for the expensive puron (r410). I googled and couldn't find anything about this "new r22". Has anyone read anything about it?

Look for R417a a direct drop in replacement for R22. There is also R407C, R421a, HC-a22 and a few more. I haven't used any alternative to R22 yet so I can't comment on it but I have used R416a in place of R12 and it's doing a good job. I haven't had to install or service any Puron systems yet but may have to soon.
TDD
Supposedly they are phasing out R-22. I'm going to be sad to see it go. Good stuff, does a nice job. As to the other blends and such. Time will tell, if any of them work, and if they will be on the market for a while.
Puron is a brand name for 410a, but you likely knew that already.
One company I work for, they used 416a. It's a bit cheaper than 409a. I may try it for my next jug o juice. 409a works nicely.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have used 409a in the past but found 416a to work better for me. I can use it in an old car or old hermetic because there is no need to change the oil and it runs a lower head pressure which is less of a strain on an old system. I have it running a walk in cooler at a pizza place and the system runs in the hottest weather without straining or overheating.
TDD
I'm in the market to replace my split-system heat pump A/C. An installer came by today and said that there is a "new r22" that eliminates the need for the expensive puron (r410). I googled and couldn't find anything about this "new r22". Has anyone read anything about it?
Jean

Maybe this is what you are looking for.
http://www.icorinternational.com/nu22b.html
Suspose to replace the r22,407 and 417.
I don't know anything about it, but some bulliten boads do not seem to recommend it.
I'm in the market to replace my split-system heat pump A/C. An installer came by today and said that there is a "new r22" that eliminates the need for the expensive puron (r410). I googled and couldn't find anything about this "new r22". Has anyone read anything about it?
Jean

I have not priced it lately, but just how much could the more expensive r401 be ? There are only several pounds in a system.
I did replace my system about 3 years ago and went with the r-22. My thinking is that it operates at lower pressure and has been around long enough to have the bugs worked out of the system. I also had most of a bottle of that gas left from years ago. If I need to add some, I can do that .
Ralph Mowery wrote:

If you don't care about environment.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Freon was banned so that penguins wouldn't get sunburned. Then the planet started heating up.
How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our

stay away from my bodily fluids....ya pinko commie.
http://lunar-circuitry.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/sterling-hayden.jpg
my favorite is Scott in that flix
http://www.emulsioncompulsion.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/strangelove_wideweb__430x284.jpg
:-)
od
od
.

http://lunar-circuitry.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/sterling-hayden.jpg
http://www.emulsioncompulsion.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/strangelove_wideweb__430x284.jpg
broke link fix
http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/dr__strangelove/george_c__scott/strangelove1.jpg
Tony Hwang wrote:

The environment cares not whether the R-22 is sealed in a container or inside an A/C system. The only time it becomes an environmental issue is when you release it into the atmosphere.
(oh noes! my car has R-12 in it!)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.