Network and telephone cables?

Page 2 of 2

You have lots of cd's? Then you definately want to "serve" a central audio repository to each location. Video is the more challenging side as there are so many formats and you need to make sure you have plenty of bandwidth. Audio is a piece of cake.

Depends on your level of concern for audio quality. The 70 to 8ohm transformers are not exactly "hifi". Good enough for the mall but not for my home audio. Same reason I'm not a big fan of impedance matching transformers on the input side either. It's rather difficult to make a transformer that has the same characteristics at 20hz and at 20khz.
On 3/9/2011 2:54 PM, jamesgangnc wrote:

I thought he mentioned that he has some old speakers, etc. For low level background music in the house the 70 volt system with a mishmash of speakers should be OK. I have installed some 70 volt line stuff that had a very good sound in a few restaurants. I think we used 18 to 14 gauge audio distribution cable and several amps for a total of 250 watts. I could crank it up and rattle the windows with no distortion. Tomorrow, I'm going to be on a man lift in a big retail store trying to straighten out their background music and paging system. Some moron got in there and hooked the 70 volt line to the 8 ohm output of the darned amplifier and cranked it wide open. I have to go through the whole thing with my impedance meter and see what that goober damaged. :-(
TDD

The amp lived?
Jeff

On 3/9/2011 5:28 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

A new amp was shipped in from Corporate and the last time I checked it it was hot as a firecracker, our other tech put it back on 70 volt line but every time I find that someone hooked the 70v line to the 8 ohm output of an amp and cranked the darn thing wide open, something cooks. The TOA amplifiers seem to be less tolerant of it than Bogen amps but still, something got burnt. At one of the other stores, some goober set a hundred ceiling speakers on the 5 watt tap and they wondered why amps kept dying. The Corporate technology departments need to have plans and instructions on what the power taps need to be set on at their stores to help eliminate a lot of the problems they have, it's not that difficult. It's going to be raining tomorrow so I can't do a scheduled job outdoors so I guess I'm stuck with the PA system repair. :-(
TDD

I can't imagine how long that took to fix, seems like days. It's dead simple to do the calculations, it was designed that way, but as a friend of mine says: "What were they thinking? No thinking was used!"
The Corporate technology departments need to have plans and

You would think. I'm a web programmer not an IT guy and definitely not a windows server guy. And yet whenever we set up a site on an inhouse server, the IT department is clueless and I send instructions. Maybe Dilbert is right. Just because it is not hard, doesn't mean it can be done.
Jeff
On 3/10/2011 4:07 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm not a programmer but I do a lot of computer hardware and the dumb things I see done in server rooms and racks is beyond bizarre. No thought given to order in the whole structure especially if there are a lot of additions and changes. No matter what sort of system or gear I'm installing, I proceed with consideration of who has to come behind me for maintenance because that person is often ME and if someone else touches it, I'd like it to be in a condition where I can easily repair the damage. I've spent days in telephone equipment rooms in office buildings straightening out rats nests of wiring because I want to be able to easily maintain a customer's system. Sometimes there is 20 or 30 years worth of slap it in and get the hell out of there to fix. A ton of abandoned/obsolete equipment can be in my way and I recycle a lot of it. You should see my modem, switch and router collection. My friend had problems with his DSL at his home and I was able to use one of my salvaged DSL modem/router/switches to replace his 9 year old setup to get him back in service. The phone company would have charged him a lot of money and he can no longer work because of his disability. Recycle!
TDD

My friend

Hey, whenever you can take care of a friend's problem and it doesn't cost anything. That is a good day indeed!
Jeff

On 3/10/2011 6:18 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I have retrieved Netopia DSL modem/wireless router/switches from the trash that were less than 2 years old. The phone company charges $100.00 for the darn things. :-)
TDD

Hey, that's my modem/router! Good gear and great score. The $100 is actually a good price, they use that here only for business customers, I Ebayed mine.
Jeff

On 3/10/2011 7:21 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I found a Netopia modem/router/switch in my van that's about a third the size of the wireless version. Same color, just no wireless. What I installed for my friend was a Zoom modem/router/switch because none of the others would work. His old Westel and the Netopias would not work because of what I assume was line noise. The Zoom is accessed by going to IP addy 10.0.0.2 instead of the more common 192.168.0.1 or .1.0 and the Zoom has what I believe are superior specs, features and firewall. It was another salvage item. I had three AT&T DSL techs out to his home and all three had different opinions and even different test results. I may try some different modems on his line to see if AT&T resolved the strange problem he was having which was .22mbs down and .25mbs up on a 1.5mbs down .25mbs up DSL service. :-)
TDD
Jeff Thies wrote:

Cat cable wires are small gauge. I'd use at least lamp cord size wire.
On 3/8/2011 12:40 PM, Tegger wrote:

Often the "pros" really aren't. A lot of these cabling companies pay walmart wages to anyone they can get who can throw stuff in. Best I ever saw was a cable guy from one of the local name brand high priced places pulling a run and he ran out of cable so he stripped the ends of that cable and a new roll and twisted them together and threw them above the suspended ceiling.
The other famous one is to crimp RJ-45 plugs onto solid wire which of course will yield a "see it works" moment with plenty of fun for those to follow. Then others will look at it and think that is how it should be done and then go off and replicate it elsewhere.

Let me guess... he used to install automotive audio equipment, right?
--
Tegger

On 3/8/2011 7:28 PM, Tegger wrote:

On 3/8/2011 6:19 PM, George wrote:

There are two different RJ series plugs I have in stock, the clear for stranded wire though most will work just fine on solid and smoky gray which are specifically made for solid wire. I sell phone systems too so I often put RJ11, RJ14 and RJ25 plugs on solid wire when wiring some backboards.
TDD
TDD

Depends what "works fine" means. One of the biggest failure items I see is plugs crimped onto solid wire. If it moves use stranded wire. If fixed you use solid. The phone companies and others arrived at that conclusion quickly for very good reasons a long time ago. For good reason standard practice for premise wiring is to punch horizontal wiring down and then use a patch cable made with stranded wire to connect whatever network device is involved.
On 3/9/2011 8:00 AM, George wrote:

That's why I buy 1000 foot rolls of silver satin flat stranded phone cord. I can make my own phone cords, patch cords and jumpers. :-)
TDD

You sure your phones are not voip? Old school ringer voltage is around 90vac 20 hertz. Depending on the distance from the repeater a lot of voltage can get lost on the line but not always. I'd rather have that at least a few insulation layers away from the data twisted pairs.