Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Page 2 of 3

I did mention that he did do this in my original post, and this is the 2nd go-round. Please see the 2nd paragraph.

Don't worry about it. Reading comprehension is a lost art.
If you put more than two sentences in a paragraph, or more than three in a post, it's too much for most people.
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:33:36 -0400, "Colbyt"

AIUI, the Earth rotates once a day, so half the time, the water should flow the other way.
Perry Aynum wrote:

Google "water drain to neighboring property".
http://www.google.com/search?q=water+drain+to+neighboring+property&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Maybe one night the end of the drain pipe becomes clogged with debris resulting in water backing up all the way to his gutters.
Perry Aynum wrote:

I would not move it. Degree of concern should be where the water drains from, what alternatives there are, who was "there" first and general slope of the properties. MUST he drain there to keep water away from the foundation of his house? Got basements? Distance from house to house? Drainage pipe to shed? Any potential real harm to your shed? "Drenching the footings" sounds like a non-issue unless there is standing water or really soggy soil around the shed.
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:11:24 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

It is illegal for a property owner to direct run-off onto another person's property. In current developments here the location of downspout discharges in relation to property lines is subject to planning department approval (building permits0
Whatever he did, he can't suddenly start dumping water onto the neighbors property, creating a flood around his shed, where it didn't occur before. And I agree with Bob. From the way it's stated, it appears far more likely that it's not just a foot of corrugated pipe. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a piece of corrugated pipe to move water just a foot.
But let's ask Perry exactly what he did, how much further he redirected the water, etc.
He ran what must be about 30' or 40' feet of corrugated pipes from downspouts on both ends of his garage into a "T", and then ran them down to about 6 to 8' up from the corner, so it drains right into my shed area. THe drains pipes are orders of magnitude different from a 6' drain pipe extension.

Is this perforated drain pipes or solid? HE needs a French drain on his property with perforated pipe. Let his land absorb the water.
Think of a septic leech field.
What's that saying fool me once, fool me twice.... The guy is on a two stike rule (boxing gloves optional).
Perry Aynum wrote:

As crazy as I am, I would probably dig a pit and put a large sump pump in it that would spray the water back the way it came. *snicker*
TDD

Drainage law in most States is a left-over from British common law. To wit: You have an obligation to take whatever waters nature would have sent towards you. You have to accept your neighbor's water. However, your neighbor has an obligation not to alter the path of the water and not to concentrate it to one location. Obviously he has done that.
As one respondent noted above, he should spill the water onto a dissipater (rock bed possibly the whole width of his yard) and thence the water will revert back into sheet-flow instead of being concentrated against your shed.
I disagree with all the teat-suckers that suggest you run to your government for help. Ultimately you have to work this out with your neighbor and might even have to bring a tort claim against him.
BTW, a simple dissipater would consist of his drain pipe ending in a "TEE" section. The "TEE" would be perforated pipe laid within about 6-8 inches of drain rock. The pipe should follow the contours of his lot, i.e., it should be run level. The entire assembly can be placed a few inches below ground and a lawn can be placed thereon. The water will exit the perforated pipe, saturate the drain rock and hopefully percolate into the ground. Whatever does not percolate would 'sheet-flow' across his lot onto your property just as nature had intended.
There are some codes and design standards for the above system. Some codes require that the dissipation system be placed a minimum of 20 feet uphill from your common property line.
Ivan Vegvary

around here code requires downspout water to goi in dry well.........
neighbor got in troublew and was required to install dry wells.
interestingly the water from his property still flows like a creek in heavy rains..
first ask the neigbor nice, then if that doesnt work complain to authorties.
but know your going to start a war, if you are doing anything the other fellow can complain about
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:17:53 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"

Howdy,
How might the OP "bring a tort claim" without the involvement of the government?
Thanks,
--
Kenneth

You simply sue him for any damage (erosion, over saturation, structural destabilization etc.) you might incur.
BTW there is a big push to get surface waters to recharge the ground instead of sending them by man-made conveyance to the nearest ditch, gulley, stream etc. You might be able to sue under the environmental provisions of your state laws. Bigger dollars and possibly you attorneys fees can also be reimbursed.
Ivan Vegvary
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:00:58 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"

Hi again,
Are you of the belief that filing a suit would not involve the government?
Thanks again,
--
Kenneth

Read the question posed, again.
Perry Aynum wrote:

You should probably try to either work with your neighbor or suck it up.
The downside of starting a war - either through spiteful actions or by involving the authorities - is the possible retaliation. Your cats end up dead. Your garage mysteriously catches fire. Your children get "free" tattoos. Your outdoor grill generates a fire truck call.
If my neighbor sicced the authorities on me for some piddly drainage issue, I'd hit the sonofabitch so hard his mother would die.
But that's just me.
And it could be your neighbor.
That sounds like a very intelligent way to handle a dispute.

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:16:43 -0500, Gordon Shumway

It all happens after an invitation for a cold beverage, brunch or any other place of neutrality. Never go into the lions den!!
One option is for the OP to Water Board the neighbor..
HeyBub wrote:

And how many times would you do it to him before he would be justified in escalating?
Don't you think after the first time he should know better?